Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 1525 RAM 333/667, Dual? question

Going to install windows 8.1 on my 1525 which currently has 3GB Ram, 1GB in slot 1, 2GB in slot2.  CPU-Z reports that the ram installed is PC2-5300 (333 MHz).   Crucial and other places only have PC2-5300 667.   First, would it be ok to keep the 2GB (333) and put in one more 2GB (667)?  Does the 333 for one and 667 for the other matter?

Second, CPU-Z reports that "Channel #" is "Dual", so I assume even if the answer to First question is yes, then I would not be able to run Dual channel, or would I?  So, would I have to buy a 4gb kit (2GBx2) to be able to run Dual Channel? And is Dual Channel that important?  This is not main computer, will only run Office 365 and anti-virus.

btw, I looked at the manual, no help.

Thanks for any info 

23 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 14:00

btw, will be 64bit windows 8.1

further goggling, appears that the 333 MHz reported by cpu-z is actually 667, I guess.  And that it was Dual Channel even though mismatched in GB size, although possibly not "fully" Dual Channel for that reason.

Guess my only question now is, will I be able to have Dual Channel with 2 GB sticks for total of 4GB, but the two sticks will be from 2 different vendors.  What is currently in the inspiron is Hyundai (per cpu-z) and what I would be buying is Crucial.

Thanks

23 Posts

November 5th, 2013 07:00

I think I know what the deal is with 333/667, so let me rephrase my question:

I know that sometimes a later BIOS will allow for greater RAM than what Dell/Crucial/otherSites say, because apparently they all base their max RAM amount off of the "original" max ram, even if later BIOS increases that.  Example, I've upgraded two different desktop models that were supposedly 4GB max to 8GB ram with no problem.  BUT, that was after seeing posts from multiple people saying that had successfully done so. 

I've seen only one post from a person who says they upgraded past 4gb, and it was to 6gb (one 4gb stick and one 2gb stick).  Now, I might be willing to gamble and try it, but even if I could find a single 4gb stick (I've only see a 4gb kit so far), and was successful, would it still be "dual channel" (see my earlier reply regarding Dell "dual channel" with one 1gb stick & one 2gb stick), and if it would not be dual channel, would I still be further ahead performance-wise with the 6gb or getting true dual channel with a 4GB kit (2gb x 2)?

Thanks

No Events found!