Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2010 07:00

Inspiron 1525 keyboard problem

There are times when I will type a sentence then look up and notice that 4-5 characters in a row are missing and I have to go back and put them in. Some days the keyboard is fine and other days it will loose characters every sentence. They are no particular characters. It is as if the keyboard stops working for a couple seconds then starts back up. I am not sure if it may be related to the temperature of the laptop as it warms up or not. Dell downlaoded the latest drivers for the keyboard and touchpad and swears that will fix it. I have had the laptop 2 years and it just started a couple months ago. I doubt a driver that was working all of a sudden acts up.

347 Posts

March 25th, 2010 14:00

not sure if that model system allows it, but remove the battery and run on ac adapter only. On older laptops, the system would perform NMI's to the battery and the keyboard would be ignored for a few seconds. indicated that the battery was on its way to death if the battery would take a while to respond. you could always replace the keybrd on the system, its very easy to do. External keyboard would be a good test as well.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 25th, 2010 14:00

Wouldn't hurt to install the latest drivers.

Dropped characters can happen if something takes control of the system for a few seconds, using 100% of the processor. This could be a normal program, such as an AV or the indexing program, or some not-so-friendly virus. Do some virus scans with several of the free programs available, and also check the Task Manager to see if any programs are using large amounts of processor time periodically. Difficult to give exact procedures, as there are many thing that can be causing this problem.

No Events found!