Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 18th, 2012 14:00

Inspiron 1525 laptop: refuses to boot off the CD Drive via F12

After numerous signs of something going wrong began to show up; audio service disables itself at will, Office 2010 gets auto-deactivated, and system restore ceases to function, I figured that it was time to perform a startup repair of my Inspiron 1525 running Windows 7 professional.  This occurred over the weekend, after a cold restart Friday night when the computer crashed during an internet browsing session,and I just got to repairing it today.  When I went to do so, what happened was this: at the Windows Logo, I continually pressed the F12 key to boot into the CD Rom drive without going into the bios.  The computer would respond by the rev of the CD Rom drive, and then the menu would show up for just a second with the normal recovery options for Windows 7.  The problem?  It opens, and then closes once again; too quickly for anyone to select an option.  What is going on here, and then what can I do to repair this laptop?  Thanks for any responses, for they are greatly appreciated.  Please ask for any more information as needed.  

June 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

welcome to dell community.

you need to press F12 during the dell screen  in order to get into boot menu.

If that doesn't work you can get into BIOS ( F2) and change the Boot priority to optical drive as first boot priority device.

if you have any questions please reply back to the same post.

June 18th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.. What's the model number of your laptop?

June 18th, 2012 15:00

Thank you for that; I had forgotten that it's during the Dell screen.  Another thing that this computer is doing, though I'm not sure if it matters or not, is that I can no longer adjust the brightness of the display, making it impossible to see what is being displayed on the screen.  So that's another reason for a wrong input, possibly.

Thank you for that; I had forgotten that it's during the Dell screen.  Another thing that this computer is doing, though I'm not sure if it matters or not, is that I can no longer adjust the brightness of the display, making it impossible to see what is being displayed on the screen.  So that's another reason for a wrong input, possibly.

No Events found!