Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2009 17:00

Inspiron 1525 memory 3>4gb?

Hello,

I understand that Vista 32bit can access up to 3l5 gb of memory.

I have an Inspiron 1525 with 3gb of memory.

If I upgrade to 4gb of memory will I access an additional .5 gb of memory, and is it worth it to do this upgrade?

Will the machine run faster or are there any other advantages?

Thank you!

3 Posts

For your first question the answer will depend on the size of your video memory.

As to your second question while the answer is yes the increase is so slight that you would never notice.

However since memory is cheap and you might want to upgrade to a x64 bit version you will lose nothing adding in the extra ram

Thank you for your response.  Could you elaborate a little further regarding the size of the video memory?

I'm assuming that this means that, because this machine has integrated graphics, it utilizes system memory for the intgegrated graphics chips.  Is this correct?

If this is so, does this mean that the additional .5gb of ram will be allocated to the graphics chips, and that memory will be freed up for the cpu? 

If this is correct, will it help speed up the graphics cpu or the main cpu?

Can I find out how the memory is allocated between the cpu and the graphics?

Thank you!  I am an advanced beginner and I understand some things, but I would like to understand much more!

14.4K Posts

For your first question the answer will depend on the size of your video memory.

As to your second question while the answer is yes the increase is so slight that you would never notice.

However since memory is cheap and you might want to upgrade to a x64 bit version you will lose nothing adding in the extra ram

14.4K Posts

June 30th, 2009 18:00

See HERE for an explanation of the 4 gig on 32 bit systems

Like i said before. Any increase would be very very minor and you would never notice any difference.

No Events found!