Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 1525 will not recognize Samsung 840 SSD

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Home 64-bit to a new Samsung 840 SSD. It's been one problem after another but I'll try to get to the point.

Tried to install from DVD which booted fine and then right before the EULA checkoff stated that I needed a CD/DVD driver (!?!). How does it work to being with if that's truly the case? I can't find any driver for this from the Dell support site so I'm stuck there.

Anyway. Much research later. Find out that booting and installing from USB will work around that. It's true! I get to agree to the EULA and it goes to where I select the hard drive. No hard drive appears.

Laptop firmware has been updated to A17. No joy.

I can hook the SSD to another computer and it will pick it up as an internal drive so I don't think it's DOA.

I tried updating the firmware on the SSD to see if that would help. Although the "Magician" utility recognizes and allows me to select the drive I get the following message:

"Magician cannot communicate with selected Samsung SSD. Please check with other compatable storage drivers and try again."

..so I cant do that either.

Is there something else I need to do to get the Inspiron 1525 to see this SSD?

Thanks all.

7 Posts

September 26th, 2014 16:00

to get the ssd to appear, you need to get something to fill the void left from the older mechanical drive as it was bigger than the ssd

the problem is that you may think it is going into the slot, but in reality the ssd does not go in cause it just slides right under the sata port.

you can get a bracket (most new ssd's now come with one) and just attach it with the ssd and insert it

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2013 09:00

The problem with the CD/DVD driver is well known.  When you get this, pop the disc out of the drive and reinsert it.  Let it spin up and the install will then resume.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2013 15:00

Wow! You're right about that. Know how can I get the SSD to appear?

1 Message

July 25th, 2016 08:00

Thank you for that advice!

I managed to get my Samsung SSD 850 PRO (256 GB) recognized by my Inspirion 1525 (BIOS A17).

Removed the coverplate on the backside where the graphics card resides. In the regular position the SATA connector failed to snug in. By placing the laptop on the small rear side, where the ait outlet is located, I could see how to navigate the SSD into the SATA connector... and it worked. Now I am going to install Win7 64 bit on that machine. Hope it will work.

No Events found!