Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2010 18:00

Inspiron 1525 won't start on battery

I know...there is a LOT of stuff out there on the 1525 issues with the battery not charging. 

Mine says that it is not charging, but it also won't start up on battery any longer - will only run with the AC adapter plugged in. 

That tells me that the AC adapter isn't the issue (as for many).  But, I wonder if this excuses me from the power board or mobo issues that others face. 

I am hoping this just means that after near 3 years, that the battery is shot (although it says 75% charged, but it won't charge) although I am surprised that it died this way - was expecting a more gradual decline...

whaddyathink?

thx

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 19th, 2010 19:00

You can check the bios and see if AC adapter warnings have been turned off.  Start the system and tap F2 to enter the bios.  From the bios look for the option for AC adapter errors. Turn them on if they have been disabled and save the changes. When you reboot do you get an AC adapter error? 

If AC adapter errors are turned on then you are likely looking at a defective battery.  If you have access to another 1525, swap out the battery and see if the problem follows the battery.  Then you know to replace the battery.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2010 04:00

thx for your answer.  I did go into BIOS and found that the adapter is recognized (65w) and not viewed as unknown or unrecognized.  Not sure where the warnings would be - same place?

54 Posts

October 20th, 2010 22:00

At first, check the conection to the batterie

if you lef the battery sit for a few years without recharging it occasionaly, the ressistance within the battery itsef if enough to drain the juice. It takes a long time, but few YEARS is more than enough. When you put in the battery, what happends is that it takes most of the available power comming from the psu and not enough is left to run the system. Only thing you can do is let it recharge. If it can be recharged any more, that is.

If the problem still exist,you have to buy a new dell 1525 battery and hope it can help you

http://www.udtek.com/dell-inspiron-1525-battery-cells-6600mah-p-31209.html

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2010 08:00

Thanks for your thoughts - we have this laptop plugged in much of time and only occasionally off the plug.  As I have fiddled with it,including pulling the battery out to check the connection (clean) and trying the action of unplug/plug - no affect.  Sometimes when the battery IS in, it says there is no battery...?  As the charger is recognized and it runs fine plugged in, seems after about 3 years the battery has left us....any other thoughts?

thx again.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 16:00

The good news here is that it seems the AC adapter is fine. Three years use from a battery is pretty good so yeah it could be something as simple as the battery wearing out.  The battery may have a built in tester.  This is typically a small button with a battery icon next to five LEDs. Press the button and how many and what pattern does the LEDs light up.  If none light up it means the battery has been fully discharged.  If you have a situation in which the 1st 3rd and last LED lights up then that is a defective battery.   Other than that there really is to try another battery or try this battery on another system.

TB

No Events found!