Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 9th, 2008 09:00

Inspiron 1525

I just got an Inspiron 1525 on 11/14/08. This morning I went to turn it on and it wont turn on. The first two lights at the bottom left side of the laptop turn on, the laptop then vibrates, feels like it is trying to do something and then the 2nd light goes out and the first light just stays on...nothing else happens. Screen stays black, finally if I hold the power key in for like 5 secs that light goes out.  It is barely used, has suffered no damage at all...it's not even a month old. Any ideas?

183 Posts

December 9th, 2008 11:00

turn your notebook upside down , remove the battery , use a philips screwdriver "precision kit" to remove the two small screws beneath the battery , now turn the notebook straight again , use a flat screwdriver to take out the touch buttons panel , put the flat screwdriver from the right side of the panel and prey it open , be carefull cuz it's connected to the mobo with a small cable , now that you could remove that panel , use the philips screwdriver again to remove the two keyboard keys , now hold the keyboard from the middle and pull it carefully , now you see the cable that connects the touch buttons panel to the mainboard , use the flat screwdriver to open the plastic clip that is holding the cable , and then pull the cable out , now that you have the panel out with it's cable , connect the AC adapter to your system and push the power button , if the system powered up and you got display , then it's a faulty touch buttons panel , if not , then it's a faulty mainboard

January 13th, 2009 04:00

I am having the same problem.  Did you get a resolution?  It seems a lot of Inspirons are having this problem.  Dell has been no help other then telling me to wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall vista after only having the laptop for a week!

3 Posts

January 13th, 2009 05:00

hi,i recently had a similar problem when i used a powered usb device,basicly i plugged it in then the screen went blank,lights on the bottom,same when booting,not booting but lights on.i had basicly shorted out my memory.after installing 2 new modules,it worked like new,dont strip your laptop apart till you try memory,good excuse for upgrade.you just take of a lil panal on the underside

2 Posts

January 13th, 2009 05:00

Nope....it stopped for awhile but now I have to use a mouse with it, I cant use the touchpad at all the cursor goes everywhere and the keyboard just started not working right. It will work for about 20 mins when I first turn it on and then I will hit a key and nothing.   I am calling Dell today, no way I am wiping my hard drive and reinstalling vista, this is their problem to fix...this is ridiculous, these things arent cheap, how can they break so easily.

January 13th, 2009 06:00

I have heard if you just reseat the memory that is may solve the problem. 

Has anyone done that?

1 Message

January 13th, 2009 07:00

I am having the same problem plus others with my inspiron.  It won't boot up and the screen is not working and if it does happen to go on it takes forever to load and Dells service to us has been very poor and the phone service is expensive and I sometimes cannot understand the people taking the calls.  We also called just before Christmas to report that it wasn't working again and needed picked up and they never bothered phoning back to give us a pick up time. Of course they have no record of that call funnily enough.  We only got this laptop in April and this is the third time its been sorted.  It has not fallen or anything its just rubbish and so are Dell.  Poor Debbie having to listen and deal with all this.

1 Message

June 12th, 2009 08:00

I am Having the Same Problem , could any one find the Solution :emotion-6:

15 Posts

June 12th, 2009 17:00

I'm new to this Dell forum as I've started to fix the Dells (Desktops and Laptops).  I had this happen to me today

on a laptop, so because I bough the laptop myself (2nd hand) I decided to take the whole laptop apart as I know

theres a coin battery on the motherboard.  After taking the laptop apart I took the coin battery out and waited 30 secs

to 1 minute, then placed the battery back in and put the laptop back together.  Placed power back in and turned on,

surprise the laptop turned back on with an error message for the bios as the removal of the coin battery resets the bios.

Just pressed F2 for bios setup and then booted into windows again.

1 Message

August 8th, 2009 23:00

none of the above posts have corrected the problem. i have had the laptop down to its shell, all the connections are great, ive changed the memory modules, i have changed the coin battery. im beginning to think this "great" little Dell is a lemon, and gee it just went out of warranty, go figure. Dell used to make a fantastic product, but recently all i have ended up with is worthless junk!

15 Posts

August 9th, 2009 02:00

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having trouble with your 1525.  I've repaired 4 1525's in the last month and found a great way to find out the problems with the laptop. Try these and see if it helps you find out what the problem is.

Unplug the battery and hard drive and try and turn it on.  If this still doesnt turn on, flip the laptop over and take the memory module out (if you have 2 memory modules try them back in 1 at a time or swap them around, but make sure they are seated in properly as sometimes I've found that sometimes the memory has some how come out).

If this still doesn't work, then if I were at the laptop I'd take the whole laptop apart disconnecting all the cables and then clean everything up including the cpu and putting some better paste on the cpu, but remember to reset the bios's battery - just take it out for around 1 - 2 hours and then put it back in.  Once you've put the main parts back together so you can turn it back on test it, but only put back the minimum parts back together so you can do a quick test.  Hopefully your laptop should now power on with the message press F2 for bios.

If it still doesn't turn on it could be a few reasons, 1 - faulty memory, 2 - faulty memory module connector or 3 - faulty motherboard

Hope this is of help to you and anyone else.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2009 16:00

hello, i was recently the recipient of this infamous computer, and i made it turn on by removing the speaker plate (take out the battery, unscrew the two small screws, turn over, use a flat head to pop up the speaker plate) and to my shock was a loose connector conecting the LEDs to the speaker plate, i didnt replace it before turning it on using the now exposed power button to make sure it worked and bingo! the screen then read a message saying the cpu became too hot and the computer shut itself down. hope this helps!!

2 Posts

October 29th, 2009 11:00

Let me share spmething since we are talking about the INSPIRION 1525;;; I recently purchased WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE.... Now my touchpad does not work. i contacted DELL SUPPORT thru the chat option and they did not know what to do or where to get the updated driver to have thisfixed.....ANY IDEAS????

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 11:00

I'm working on client's Inspiron 1525 - same symptoms as described above. Your comments are just validation of my suspicions  that either memory port/connector or the mobo are going bad. thanks

Philly Tech Support Guy

15 Posts

October 29th, 2009 12:00

I installed W7 on a Dell 6000 and there wasn't any driver for this OS, so I downloaded the driver for XP and its worked perfectly.  See if this works for you, if not I've got a spare 1525 and I'll see if I can get W7 to work with the touchpad.

15 Posts

October 29th, 2009 16:00

I've just installed a 30 day trial of Windows 7 on the 1525 and the touchpad is working perfectly.  Its using the PS2 micrsoft compatible driver.

I have read that drivers made for Vista will work with W7

Drive for 1525 is:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R176423&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14029&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=17&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=239968

Edit:

Dont know if this will help you:

http://www.kombitz.com/2009/01/11/synaptics-touchpad-driver-for-windows-7/

No Events found!