Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 00:00

Inspiron 1545 AC adaptor issue

I am having an issue that seems to be quite common. My AC adpaptor is not recognized. After about 4 hours on the phone, and getting disconnected and asked for my service tag about 16 times, I insisted they send me a new one, and it worked fine for about a week. Now I get the same error message that it is not recognized.

This design is really terrbile, and from a search on the web, seems to be a rampant problem. Apparently the female connection point on the computer is not mounted to the computer chassis, and the stress of the plug is completely absorbed by the plug itself and the soldered points in the mobo. What a completely stupid design. It is very difficult to think that this would not be intentional.

Additionally, what computer designer would ever put a power plug on the side of the machine? Common sense would dictate that it be pointed to the back of the unit to avoid bending the cord any more than 90 degrees or so toward the direction of the power source outlet. The way it is desgined now, the cord is likely to wear out twice as fast, and the plug takes far more stress than it has to, due to the 180 degree angle the cord has to make half the time (or all the time depending on your desk positioning relative to the outlet)

I need to have the mobo replaced apparently, and I think it is ridiculous that I should be expected to send my machine in for 3-4 weeks for the fix. With such a ridiculously engineered design.

I would like to know if someone can help me get an onsite repair.

With the extensive issues I have had with Dell in the past, I did not want to buy a Dell again at all, but had no choice of a different PC model.

Beyond this, I want to know if the mobo that will be installed has a modified plug connection that is more robust. Really, there needs to be a modification of the chassis so that the plug is supported by the chassis itself like any other computer I have ever owned. All it takes is a designed plastic piece (likely would cost about 5 cents) that fits around the female plug and is secured to the chassis (by epoxy or screws) But then again...that would make too much sense. Dell would rather replace thousands of motherboards instead...

Please reply with a solution for me!

Regards

Scott Morris

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2009 03:00

With properly cared for notebooks, the issue isn't that common.  It does happen to a percentage of all notebooks - cell phones - etc. --- anything with a power jack, no matter how well designed it is.

If you want onsite service, call and buy an upgrade (yes, it costs money) to onsite service.  Then call for repair.

The turnaround time for mail-in service is 7-10 days - not 3-4 weeks.

The problem with your proposal is that it would add to the price of the system - and like most people, you probably bought on price.  $5-10 more and you'd have bought something else - which is why notebooks are designed the way they are designed.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2009 08:00

You're not going to get what you're looking for - and in fact, why bother even worrying about it?  It's your company's problem, not yours.

By the way - Apple is the one company that does power jacks correctly - they're magnetic, not a physically inserted connection.   You should have taken the Mac (it's an odd combination of choices - a low end Dell or a high-end Mac?  -- Your company has an interesting way to specify computers!).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2009 10:00

I've seen just as many Acer systems as Dell with faulty power jacks - more for HP/Compaq and others.  Your claims are biased because of your buyer's remorse;  there simply is little difference in notebook reliability beween brands - they're all close.  What you claim are flaws - including the proprietary nature of the AC adapter - are common to Apple, Sony, Toshiba and others.  For that matter, what about Apple, which has now tied the owner to its service department when the battery fails (it's non-removeable).

If you're not happy with the Dell, ask to trade the system with another employee and get what you want.  But do so knowing there are compromises with any purchase.
As for the nonsense about not owning Mac software - well, I've news for you:  the Mac CAN run Windows, natively, and just as fast as any "PC" hardware.  It's had that option ever since the arrival of the Intel CPUs several years ago.

You may not be happy with what you've got, but please don't post nonsense - it makes you look bitter and foolish and it's misleading.

December 28th, 2009 10:00

The Mac was about 200 more expensive, but none of the software I have is MAC, so that didnt make sense. I work for a company in a quasi-employee capacity. So they give us a credit toward a machine, but only specific brands. I am sure there is some kind of back-end kick-back there or something. So technically I could have bought a more expensive machine, and if there was something close, I would have. But at the time, Dell was the only thing on sale, and I could not wait because my Acer had finally just lived its life after 4 years of stellar and downright abusive use. I cant even tell you how many times I dropped that thing.

It's not my company's problem really, because it is still my time and headache.

Anyway, it would not take much effort or cost at all to simply make a better connector. The fact that Dell inserts a chip in their power adapters too, is completely useless to the consumer and serves absolutely no purpose in the functionality of the machine, and in fact, inhibits the reliability and life of the machine, and speaks volumes as to their philosophy. That chip is much more susceptible to power fluctuations than the rest of the unit, and it burns out very very easilly, requiring that you buy only a Dell power adapter. Power adapters and electrical components like that have standards, and there is no difference between one or the other in terms of supplying the proper power to any device (as long as the power ratings are correct) this is why I never throw away a power adapter. It has come in quite handly many many times.

So it escapes me how a company like Dell can make such a terrible product, yet still be one of the top selling computer brands. What ever happened to the company making the best product for the best price being the most successful? Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. So much for that concept.

No Events found!