Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2015 00:00

Inspiron 1545 CPU Upgrade

Hello!

I've had an Inspiron 1545 for almost 6 years so far. And during all this time I've been upgrading it, installing 8 GB RAM memory, 256 GB SSD, and Core 2 Duo T9600 CPU, I also updated BIOS to latest official version, A14. Last week a friend brought me a Core 2 Extreme QX9300 CPU, listed as compatible with my Inspiron's GM45 chipset and PGA478 socket. I installed it (of course applying thermal paste on it) and when I turned on the laptop, it didn't even get to the BIOS boot screen, just stayed there, on but not doing anything. After trying a couple of times, I thought it could just be not compatible with this machine. But then I tried once more, and it booted. I went to BIOS Setup and it was recognizing its 4 cores and specs. I booted my OS, used it for a while and everything was working fine, temperatures were ok, but then I tried turning the laptop off and on again, and it didn't boot. As I was using the 65W AC, and this laptop also supports a 90W AC, I thought that could help, so I got one of those but the result was the same: it turned on but no booted and randomly, when trying several times, it booted.

I've made a lot of research trying to find a similar case but I didn't find one. I'm confused because the laptop recognized the Quad Core CPU and I could use it without trouble once I got the machine to boot, so I guess that means the QX9300 is actually supported by my Inspiron. But I couldn't find out why I can't get it to boot normally.

Maybe it can't be done, which I don't care because if QX9300 doesn't work I'll keep with the T9600, but I'm willing to try any ideas to make the QX9300 work first, so help would be appreciated =)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2015 05:00

At the time your system was built, those QX9300 CPUs cost more than entire 1545 system - no one would have thought to test on in a 1545.  That said, since the problem is at startup when the power draw is high, it's most likely your system board's voltage regulators cannot supply the power demand of the Q CPU - it's 10W higher than anything your system was designed to handle.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2015 22:00

Thanks for your opinion, that might be true and is what I supposed. But, maybe there's a way, an idea, and if any has one I'll listen. Meanwhile I'll stick with the T9600.

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 19:00

a year later, did you ever have any luck with that? i'm considering giving it a shot but if we know it won't work..... apparently the x9100 works, and cpuboss lists it as having very similar power requirements to the qx9300. that's about as deep as my understanding goes though

8 Posts

July 17th, 2016 02:00

Would love to know more about this myself. I'm rocking a T9900 in my 1545 and I'm happy with it, but I'd love to be able to get a Q9100 or QX9300 in here.

No Events found!