Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Inspiron 1545 - Freezing / Restarting

My Inspiron 1545 laptop (which is about 4 years old) had started to reboot on its own. I went and changed the setting in the setup so it wouldn't restart, but would hopefully kick out an error code. It has not given me any error code to cross-reference. Instead, it just freezes up now and I have to hold the button power down to kill it. I have run the diagnostics and BIOS tests, and no error has been found.

By process of elimination, I seemed to have pinpointed the issue to when the laptop is plugged into the power supply and it is about to go into sleep/standby mode after a certain period of not being used.

Anyone with any thoughts or help? Thank you much in advance.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 21st, 2014 13:00

Hi AJS2552,

Please uninstall the video driver from device manager. Follow the steps below.

Start > run > devmgmt.msc >under the sound, video and game controller > select the video driver and right click on it and uninstall and check the box (delete the software for this device). Restart your computer. Install the video driver using the link below.

http://dell.to/13EVLww

In this link punch in the system service tag or express service code and select the appropriate operating system, under the video category select the latest video driver and install it.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 14:00

The video driver wasn't listed under the "sound, video, and game controller". Only the audio driver was listed, so I uninstalled that and installed the updated version via the link you provided.

Plugged in to the power adapter today, my laptop went into sleep mode and froze again like it has been doing. Anything else to try?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 26th, 2014 15:00

Hi AJS2552,

I am sorry about it, Please uninstall and reinstall the video driver. Follow the steps below.

Click on start> in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

Select the Display adapters > select the video card >right click on it and click on uninstall.

Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system using the link below, please download and install it for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/13EVLww

In this link punch in the system service tag or express service code and select the appropriate operating system, under the video category

3 Posts

January 29th, 2014 11:00

Did exactly as you said yesterday. Today, with my laptop plugged in, went into sleep mode and froze again. Same thing. Anything else to try?

Thanks

No Events found!