Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2010 05:00

Inspiron 1545 LED backlight not working after screen replacement.

Hi folks

First post here so be gentle.

I recently changed the screen after a customer cracked her screen on an Inspiron 1545.

If I remember correctly the backlight did work on the cracked screen.

Since I put the new screen in the backlight does not work although I can see the desktop displayed faintly (and correctly) on the screen.  Now when I try the old screen the backlight doesn't work on this either.  To try to resolve this I got a new screen cable, but this works exactly as the original cable.

Have changed lots of regular LCD screens without problems.  First experience of an LED backlit screen and it is a PITA.:emotion-9:

Have searched the web and this forum and it seems to be a pretty common problem.

On a normal screen would of course try another inverter board, but there isn't one.

Saw some advice on here to change the LCD/LED driver board, but it looks like the screen cable plugs straight into the mboard.

Has anyone actually resolved this issue without changing/repairing the motherboard?

If there is a separate daughter card that can be changed has anyone got the p/n.

Thanks in advance

David

1 Message

June 6th, 2011 09:00

Yes, these are fuses. Its also possible that when the panel got dropped it damaged the backlight and weakened the fuse which then failed.

I ran into this problem before with a DS.

A quick check is to meter across the fuse and if it measures more than about 1 ohm then it is probably bad.

I used DS microfuse replacements before and they work, but don't advise just shorting it in case there really is a short in the cable as this could damage other things.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2011 05:00

Found your question on the forum - I have an identicl issue.  Did you ever resolve the problem?

Rgds

P. Stark

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 11th, 2012 08:00

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/478489-inspiron-1545-led-screen-no-backlight-7.html

I CONFIRM that this method works.
1. Disassemble the keyboard so it will reveal the motherboard.
2. Purchase the fuse as directed or you can just bridge the fuse with a solder iron ball.
As for me, I bridged the fuse, and it worked.

Just wanted to let everyone else know that this solution worked for me. You saved me countless hours!

Prerequisites:
*Soldering Iron
*Copper wire strip just in case you solder other connections together
*Flux
*Solder
-All of these items can be purchased through Radio Shack (try eBay if there isn't one near you)
-Took me close to 12 mins, so be patient.

LITTELFUSE - 0467003.NR - Surface Mount Fuse

Image is for illustrative purposes only.
Please refer to product description
LITTELFUSE
Manufacturer: LITTELFUSE
Newark Part Number:96H8994
Manufacturer Part No:0467003.NR
Technical Data Sheet (138.38KB) EN
Technical Data Sheet (138.38KB) EN

989 available to ship today

Steps Taken:

1. Remove Keyboard (you may need to remove thin metal protecting the board depending on how the size of your iron and the angle you need to reach it)
  2. Use FLUX and apply it to the fuse (F1)
  3. Solder off the Fuse
  4. Spit out a solder ball connecting the two points

8 Posts

There is ALWAYS a reason for having a fuse - it's to protect something.

In this situation I believe that it protects a dead short caused by the LCD data line.  For example, if you dropped the laptop while running and the screen broke in such a manner as to cause a short in the data line (the wide ribbon connector), the fuse will protect the motherboard from overloading a circuit board trace, potentially ruining the unit forever.  Motherboard traces are for low level signals.

What you are doing by simply bridging the points with solder is like in the "good old days" of putting pennies in the fuse box (go Google that one) - and the house burns down!

Take the time, solder a pair of wires to the fuse holder - there's room to hide a fuse holder, I've done it and I'm a senior.  I used a magnifier/third hand, which I would recommend to anyone as it's a bit tricky - no booze while you're doing this one ;-)

Rgds

3 Posts

it is to do with a fuse on the motherboard f1 smd

7 Posts

January 11th, 2012 09:00

Old thread, but great information.  

I wish somebody had known this when I posted the original problem.

:emotion-22:

David

3 Posts

January 12th, 2012 01:00

any body  help me i have same problem but i  have a fuse with a p on green colour

what is the motherboard code and where do i find it

i have led screen replacement no image external works fine

entered service tag on here and cant find info  i see code 0g848f

but did notice that a lot of motherboards are 0g849f ,

i guess led and lcd are not transferable to each other

if i solder motherboard and it goes tits up

i want to get right replacement as ive been looking into this for weeks and still lost

its very hard to find information on what bits are in laptop so you can buy the right part

6 Posts

April 21st, 2012 12:00

I have this same problem with a Dell Vostro 3750, does anyone know where the fuse if that i need to replace on this board and/or what it is labelled on the motherboard or where i may find it?

1 Message

October 11th, 2012 07:00

No it doesnot work. I try and it has damaged the motherboard:emotion-9:

2 Posts

December 21st, 2012 12:00

Not sure if this related, but after MONTHS of wrestling with this problem, I accidentally discovered that my LED panel would ONLY work if I disconnected the ExpressCard add-on board. I can't fathom how the two are related, except maybe for a grounding issue, but there you go.

8 Posts

October 7th, 2013 13:00

The magnet is usually in the LCD bezel, it turns the display off and shuts down (or whatever the settings are) when you close the cover.  It activates/closes a reed switch in the top keyboard/palm rest panel.  You can spot the magnet as it can't be concealed or it wouldn't work.

The black and white wires are the 2 leads to the WiFi card.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

7 Posts

In all these comments, yours is the only one that even mentions a magnet?  in the lid switch????   I see a device at the top right corner behind the LED screen, with a black and white wire(s) running to it....is that the switch you refer to??

7 Posts

What is the Express Card add-on board?????

8 Posts

Are you sure that the 1545 is designed to use an LED display?  You can't use an LED in an LCD environment.

You also look for a tiny fuse on the MOBO, if exists, it may have blown when the screen cracked.

Hope this is of some help.

2 Posts

October 7th, 2013 19:00

It's the separate board that holds the ExpressCard slot. It's attached to the motherboard via a plug and held down with screws. Mine was somehow defective, and the LCD panel would ONLY light up if I disconnected it. Replacing it fixed my problem.

No Events found!