Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2009 16:00

Inspiron 1545 - Mobile Intel 4 Express Chipset Family Video X4500HD - TV-OUT CAPABILITY THROUGH THE VGA CONECTOR

I Have tried to find out, through the internet and in the Dell support and community, if the Laptop Inspiron 1545 with a Mobile Intel 4 Express Chipset Family Video X4500HD has TV-OUT CAPABILITY THROUGH THE VGA CONECTOR, but I did not find any comment posted, that makes me sure if yes or no.

I tried to contact DELL-BRAZIL SUPPORT, but even them are not sure. They said "It has to be tested".

As the laptop do not have a S-Video output, it should be the easiest and less expensive way to conect the laptop to a TV-Without VGA input,  using a simple passive cable converter (VGA Conector  to RCA/S-Video), avoiding to spend more money in a active device to convert the VGA to Composite/S-Video.

According to my understanding at Intel site, the X4500HD has the TV-Out function, but I am not sure. Maybe, it is just a customized Dell driver issue, and it could be added in the future driver update !!!???.

I also could find at internet, a lot of people with the same subject.

Please, Is there someone who can answer this subject or if there is a similar subject in the Dell community or support ?

I thank you in advance.

March 18th, 2010 13:00

Hello, Did you find any answer for this subject? I have an Inspiron 1520 and I would like to know the same.

Igor.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2010 01:00

I have an inspiron 1545 too, and i bought the vga to s-video w/3 rca cable and it did not work. i was wondering if maybe vga to rgb, or vga to dvi-d would work instead as i have both on my tv, if u hear of a way to make it work or get something to work plz reply to me and tell me how u did it. Because right now, al'ls i can see to do is buy a converter box, which may not have the best resolutions, or springing for an expensive video card upgrade

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 18th, 2010 16:00

None of the Dell notebooks support TV over VGA.  Yes, and S-video or HDMI connection will work.

21 Posts

June 18th, 2010 16:00

I am using a Dell 1545 laptop with a Samsung Syncmaster 2233 external Monitor.  I watch television all the time, not cable or local channels, but, via Internet.  Hulu, Fancast, TNT and others are there for the taking.  Depending on your system you can even get different channels than I get with my Linux system.  This an alternative, not a solution, exactly.  My screen is 1960x1080  21 1/2 inch diagonal.  It works great plugged into my laptop with auto correction built in using the original Mobile 4 chipset.  The screen came with the VGA cable, just plug it in and turn it on.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

So, even though the Intel Video Card and Driver support TV Out over VGA, Dell has somehow disabled this functionality?

I'm confused as to why that would be the case. Has anyone found a work around to enable what the Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD should support already?

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 14:00

Sorry, what do you mean that s-video and hdmi will work? isn't it redundant if they don't support tv over vga? thanks.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 14:00

Yes, according to the web, the Intel GMA x4500hd (not 4500mhd) in my dell inspiron 1545 should support tv-out over vga, but the answers above seem to indicate this is not so? I would,like to go vga to rca rgb component, as it is better quality than rca composite, and the external adapters i can find are pretty expensive relative to just a cable (which i'd prefer obviously) and only go vga to composite. Did anyone find a solution?

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 12:00

HDMI or VGA will work if you have a TV that accepts PC input by way of HDMI or VGA. Most HD, flat-screens have this capability.

For an older TV, if you were hoping to buy a cheap VGA -> S-Video or VGA -> RCA adapter, this will not work. (I've tested this)
However, a "PC VGA to TV Video AV Signal Converter video Switch Box" (as listed on E-Bay) that actually converts the signal works fine. This is the solution I've used. The adapter (that doesn't work) was $1 and the converter switch box (which works fine) was $14.

So, bottom line, on my HD flat screen, I've used both a direct VGA and HDMI hook-up without any issue, no conversion needed (the laptop treats it like an external monitor) and I've used the converter switch box go VGA -> box -> S-video to an old TV in my house with the same laptop.

No Events found!