Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 05:00

Inspiron 1545/Windows 7 -- how do I disable the (ultra-sensitive) touch pad?

I cannot use the keyboard, because the touch pad will respond if my hands even get near it, shooting the cursor off in random directions.

I have looked for advice on disabling the touch pad when the mouse is attached, but they all say "Go to Control Panel and find the TouchPad tab and click on disable".... but in my system there is nothing in Control Panel about the touchpad.

HELP!!!

March 31st, 2012 10:00

@ microtest

Obviously if it were that easy, we wouldn't all be posting to this thread.. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about and posting that there 'isn't' a problem with your computer is just rubbing it in the face of the people having actual problems. Please don't bother to chime in unless you are having, or were having the same problem, or you have the solution.

We don't care that yours works fine, so stop telling people to do obvious things that require the very menu items everyone here is complaining they don't have. Duh! not helpful.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 12:00

I have also had this issue and made a number of attempts to fix it.   (gave-up until today when the system automatically sent me all the blogs concerning it)

I went back through everything one more time  - -  and of course initally came up empty.  when I would go to the properties on the MOUSE I could never get access to the Ultra Touch Pad controls. What's more the Diagnostics were of no use.  I again downloaded all possible drivers for the 1545.   I have 3 of these units which had been working on Vista Home.    When I attached a USB mouse - - the Touch pad and its buttons went 'off-line'.   When I upgraded them to Windows 7 this option stopped working.

I again went through the drivers, trying several, - no luck.  I then tried the one marked INPUT   (R270497).   I tried it (I thought I ran it earlier).   When I launched the setup it mentioned something about touch pad.  I finished the install and rebooted.   This time when I went to Mouse - properties, I initally got the same thing as before  - -  3 seconds late an additional TAB came live; 'Dell Touchpad'.  I double clicked on the image of the pad and opened a new window with 4 icons.  I picked 'Button Settings' - - an new window appeared with 2-Tabs.   Select 'Device Settings' tab.   At the bottom is a check box option to 'Disable Touchpad ..... when external USB mouse is present'

It now works  - - - -  Hope this helps 

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 13:00

I have received an email solving this problem by LVLPDELL for the Inspiron 1545. I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting the details that I have used successfully on the Inspiron 1525.

I again went through the drivers, trying several, - no luck.  I then tried the one marked INPUT   (R270497).   I tried it (I thought I ran it earlier).   When I launched the setup it mentioned something about touch pad.  I finished the install and rebooted.   This time when I went to Mouse - properties, I initally got the same thing as before  - -  3 seconds late an additional TAB came live; 'Dell Touchpad'.  I double clicked on the image of the pad and opened a new window with 4 icons.  I picked 'Button Settings' - - an new window appeared with 2-Tabs.   Select 'Device Settings' tab.   At the bottom is a check box option to 'Disable Touchpad ..... when external USB mouse is present'

Guillaume

April 3rd, 2012 16:00

Great! glad someone found it... I took mine to a local, three man, computer place.. in Davis Ca, called iFix Electronics! (Plug!) They figured out what ones and installed the right drivers for me... I now have full control of the trackpad, which I set it to 'switch off' when a mouse is plugged in (c: I'm now typing on my keyboard with confidence!

...and it fixed a few other features I didn't know weren't there. I can now see the volume control and brightness graphic onscreen when I adjust it with the function buttons, and there's some cool sound utility thingy that I have yet to get into (c: Should have done it last week.. So easy. I just dropped it off, went and got  lunch, came back and it was done, working better than ever, waiting for me, for $20.00! well worth not having the headache. (c:

Thanks for the response here guys.. and thank you iFix (c:

1 Message

April 18th, 2012 10:00

I was tearing my hair out trying to turn off the touch pad when a mouse is plugged in.  Went to the site, downloaded the driver as suggested and rebooted the computer.  Went to control the control panel and clicked on mouse.  This time it came up with the picture of the mouse pad.  Clicked on the mouse pad and got another screen with options.  Found the icon that had the settings including the one to turn of the pad when a mouse is plugged in.  It worked perfectly.  Now when I plug in a mouse, the pad is disabled.  I also found a place to adjust the sensitivity of the pad.  

Thanks for the into, it worked perfectly for me.

1 Message

May 5th, 2012 20:00

THANK YOU for this info, MARY!!

i've been hunting ALL DAY to fix this problem (touchpad not disabling when usb mouse is present), but i had no idea about the Windows Mobility Center!!

in case it helps others, i opened WMC, clicked on the touchpad icon, and from that menu, selected the "Device Select/Button Settings" option (top left); under Device Select, there is a button at the bottom to "Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present." i had to -unselect- and apply that, then reselect and apply, and now i can type again without all the mousedrift from the touchpad, LOL ;D

THANKS AGAIN, MARY!!

1 Message

December 17th, 2012 12:00

LVLPDELL provided the key answer for me:  I searched for Dell's web page containing download for R270497, got to this URL for the newest version of Touchpad drivers for Inspiron 1545.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=JFD8N&fileid=2731094639

THIS is the correct download page (at least as of today's date 12/17/2012)

Thanks to LVLPDELL for the time and details!

1 Message

December 31st, 2012 15:00

Unplug the touchpad from the motherboard. Power down first. Unplug computer and remove battery.Simply remove cover above keypad(using small flathead screwdriver.Working right to left) Remove the 2 screws holding keyboard in. Remove keyboard slowly as to not unplug or damage ribbon connector. Unplug touchpad. (small plug to the right at bottom) Replace keyboard,cover and startup. USB mouse will work.

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

January 27th, 2013 14:00

what site?  what driver?

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

Is the touchpad labeled as something other than touchpad?    If not, than then I don't have it.  I have checked under mouse, keyboard and devices..  I did type in Mobility Center and   brightness, volume, battery, wireless network, external display and sync center, listed as catergories, but no Dell quickset.   Is that something I should have? What, where, how?   Sorry I butted in to a conversation, but I hving the same problem and my touch pad is so touchy I cannot complete a document with losing it.  Going nuts and about to call DELL.....   HELP!

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

Everyone keeps mentioning getting the right drivers, but no one is saying where to go to get those drivers!!!!!   Good grief.  I gve up. Have been 3 days on this.  I will just call Dell and let them fix it!

934 Posts

January 27th, 2013 15:00

> watch the video

""

=======================================================

> driver

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1545

1.choose appropriate Operating System

2.go to "Input" - section

3.download Alps-Driver

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

January 27th, 2013 21:00

Hi Mic.   Thanks for reponse.  It was very easy to do...  And I got a msg that said the driver installed correctly..  However!!  LOL  Sorry, I am about nutty over this thing...   I watched the video and did as I observed.. typed in MOUSE .. Clicked on MOUSE, but again, all I got was BUTTONS, POINTERS, POINTER OPTIONS, WHEEL, HARDWARE...  No TOUCHPAD. I checked again under all the catergories...Then I wondered if I needed to restart..  So I did.. Went through the process again and no changes...  It is just not there.   Maybe I can get a dollar back from DELL for not including my TOUCHPAD CONTROLLER!   LOL...   No kidding, this thing is driving me insane.  You don't know how many times I have had to do rewrites because the pad is so touchy it highlights whole paragraphs at a time if my hands get too near it (HOT HANDS? hmmm...)  And I am typing fast, so before you know it, the whole darn thing is gone and has to be done over.  I lost this msg here, twice already.. I have wanted to fling this darn inspiron 1545 across the room more than once...  32b Vista Home Basic and all......  Sorry.. I had to vent.  Now I will go cry for a while...     But thanks for your time..  It was worth the try!

934 Posts

January 28th, 2013 06:00

I guess that somehow Windows 7 must be messed up.So far I never had the slightest problem with my touchpad. It should work fine with or without Dell's touchpad driver.

You can "test" the touchpad outside Windows 7 by pressing F2 at powerup.This will take you to the BIOS screen.See for yourself if behaves more user friendly indicating that it is not a hardware problem.

3 Posts

April 20th, 2013 18:00

I am having the same hideous "touchpad with a mind of its own" problem on my Precision M6400 Laptop.

I have tried all the installations of the various things listed here, and none of them will even install on my machine. It seems I don't have a "supported system" whatever that means.

@Microtest; please try to understand that this is not a matter of testing the touchpad, or finding that "it should work fine". The simple idea is is HOW TO TURN THE STUPID THING OFF!

That is all I want to do; Turn It OFF! I have to use a three btn mouse for running CAD software and that annoying touchpad is worse than useless.

If anyone knows how to Turn It OFF on a Dell that has no "service tag" that would be wonderful.

Thank you.

No Events found!