Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2012 03:00

Inspiron 1545 cannot start up the laptop. (I Have windows 7),

I have a Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 upgrade installed on it. While I had my Google Chrome open, Yahoo mail on & gmail on with microsoft word documents also open, suddenly the blue screen popped up & shut down my laptop. I waited for a while & restarted my laptop. It asked for Startup repair to run, I did that but it could not solve the problem.  Then it suggested to use system restore to an earlier point in time & after 20-30 minutes it gave a message saying windows could not repair the problem. There is a message which says:

Root cause found:

A Hard disk could not be found. If a hard disk is installed, it is not responding. 

Does this mean my hard disk is crashed? Can someone help. Also I called Dell & they suggested that for a non refundable fee they can run a diagnostic & determine if my hard drive has crashed or not. If someone can tell me how to run a diagnostic test that would be helpful as well.

4.4K Posts

August 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi  omaarr,

Welcome to the Community,

Check in BIOS (Tap F2 on start up)  if the HDD is getting detected.If the HDD is getting detected there,run the Diagnostics by tapping F12 on start up,select diagnostics.

If the HDD is not getting detected in BIOS,you may have to remove and reseat the HDD.

Post back error code/message  if any, while running diagnostics.

Thank You

2 Posts

August 9th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for your suggestion, but the problem is solved for now & I did it by restarting my laptop & pressing F12 to go in the diagnostic mode & after doing the complete diagnostic (took over an hour) It asked me to restart the laptop & it started normally.

1 Message

January 7th, 2013 01:00

hi Everyone my Dell Inspiron 1545 is suffering with a problem: when i am running the Dignostic test it is giving {Error Code- 0146 (msg:Hard drive 0- self test log contains previous errors)} please help me to Cure this problem

4.4K Posts

January 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi vampire0509,

Welcome to the Community,

Error Code- 0146 indicates a HDD failure which may need to be replaced.

Before replacing the HDD try performing a clean Windows reinstall using the Windows disc.If system freezes or gets stuck while installing Windows then you will need to get the HDD replaced.

For steps to perform Manual reinstall of Windows refer to this link and follow step 4: support.dell.com/.../document

Note:Reinstalling Windows will delete all data on the HDD.

Thank You

No Events found!