Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2016 00:00

Inspiron 1545 charging / battery light flashing red /white , not chargeing

Hi, our 1545 went a bit wrong a while back and hard drive got corrupted, at same time the charger seemed to to fail so bought a replacement 21 non Oem off eBay. When I plug it in now the bios message is something like not correct charger and 65 w. The battery says its normal and charger unknown but the battery light clashes red then white, it is not charging either and as soon as you pull out charger the machine dies.

Is this a charger issue,battery faulty or something else?

Thanks

Dave

March 12th, 2016 20:00

Hi Oriont

Thanks for writing to us. 

What is the status of the adapter with the original Adapter? 

Brief us a little more about the symptoms so we can guide you better. 

Does the battery not charge with the original adapter? If yes, how about the charging port on the laptop is that intact or wobbly?

Have you tried a different battery ? 

Regards

6 Posts

March 13th, 2016 13:00

The original adapted broke so had to buy new one. Chargeing port seems OK as PCs doesn't even come on unless plugged in, as soon as disconnected it dies instantly. The machine updated to Windows 10 a fewmonths ago and shortly after got blue screen of death , from that point it appeared to damage sectors on hard drive and I couldn't get it to reboot at all , spent ages with hard drive plugged directly into my pic with cable to try and retire data. I have now managed to reformat it but still have this battery issue and don't know where to go next. Buy another charger or battery.

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPad

On 13 Mar 2016, at 04:25, Dell Community - Automated Email wrote:

Zimbra Community Update from Dell Community

DELL-Hema

Hi Oriont

Thanks for writing to us.

What is the status of the adapter with the original Adapter?

Brief us a little more about the symptoms so we can guide you better.

Does the battery not charge with the original adapter? If yes, how about the charging port on the laptop is that intact or wobbly?

Have you tried a different battery ?

Regards

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

March 13th, 2016 20:00

What is the status of the battery inside windows at taskbar?
Also please let us know the status of the charger in BIOS also battery heath. It could be a motherboard connector or a battery issue.
Await your response

March 16th, 2016 20:00

Hi, We are awaiting your response still

6 Posts

March 17th, 2016 03:00

Hi, just checked again , in bios battery idle, health moderate, ac adapted Unknown, 0%.

In Windows, shows plugged in to mains but not charging 0% available.

Dave

6 Posts

March 17th, 2016 03:00

Hi, sorry didn't see you'd responded.

On Windows the battery shows 0% and not charging. I bios says charger not recognised and battery 0.

Dave

March 17th, 2016 22:00

Looks like have to replace charging port, but then keeping in mind you have bought a non Dell adapter even that could be a reason it showing unknown in BIOS, so might have to replace charger as well.
Do PM us the system tag# by clicking on my name in blue and select send a private message. Meanwhile if you can source a Dell adapter from your friends or local store, we can try to rule out the parts even more.

6 Posts

March 18th, 2016 05:00

hi, i have just checked back on my records and i purchased the charger in July last year so it would have been working fine before this point. so what is involved with replacing the charing point? does that mean opening up the laptop to solder a new part on?

how do i get the system tag?

thanks

Dave

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2016 06:00

The DC jack on this model is a plug-in part - it requires no soldering to replace:

< >

That said, before replacing the jack, try an OEM Dell AC adapter FIRST. 

March 18th, 2016 21:00

Hi, The service tag will be at the bottom of the laptop on a black sticker.
We would still suggest you to try a Dell OEM charger before going ahead with any other part.
Yes charging port replacement means the system need to be opened till the motherboard .
Await your response

6 Posts

March 19th, 2016 03:00

What's the significance of the power light on laptop flashing once white then three times red constantly?

Sent service tag number.

Dave

No Events found!