Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2014 14:00

Inspiron 1545 problems with programs working after click similar to sleep mode

Hello,

I've had my Inspiron 1545 since 2009 and it's a investment for a first laptop with the lack of problems and longevity of the device.  Yesterday after I had updated my antivirus software I had noticed it was on even though the screen was shut so I opened and closed it to let it go back to sleep.  Today when I logged on everything booted up okay, but when I began to try using my programs (Google Chrome, Word, etc.) I noticed a clicking noise similar to that when it would hibernate/sleep and when I tried to click the Windows logo on the bottom left nothing happened so I forced a shutdown.  Tried the normal login again with the same result and same clicking a minute or so after everything booted up.  Forced shutdown again and attempted several system restores from the safe mode only to have them all fail.  I'm running diagnostics on it now and just received an Error Code 2000-0142 saying the hard drive self test was unsuccessful (could be irrelevant to my problem or could have everything to do with it).  If anyone has any advice or further questions that might help my situation would be great.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 20th, 2014 17:00

Your hard drive has failed - you need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive.

The design life of a drive is five years -- many don't make it that long, so yours has had a good run.

No Events found!