Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 1545 recovery fails to create bootable system.

I'm working on an Inspiron 1545 where the Windows 7 Home Premium install was utterly hosed.

I used the factory restore but what it's restored will NOT boot. It starts and I get a BSOD with a STOP error stop: 0x0000007b (0xfffff880009a98e8, 0xffffffffc000000d, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I've tried it restoring over the screwed up install (keeping *nothing*) and I connected the drive to another computer to delete the OS partition. Factory restore again got me exactly the same STOP error.

Right now I have it on a command prompt in the recovery partition, showing as drive X: I know the stuff to do BCD repair is in that partition, Ease US showed me all the hidden stuff. But what I'm looking at now, anything like that which *might* work is *hidden*.

What good does it do to hide the tools required to do the repair?! I've followed several how-to's on fixing this but in every case where it's at the point of having a command prompt to the recovery partition, the folders and files needed to do the fix are kept hidden.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2017 04:00

Have you run a full diagnostic on the hard drive?  On a system this old, it's not uncommon that the drive may have failed - it's well beyond its design life.

F12 at powerup to get to the diagnostics.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

May 20th, 2017 16:00

Well, it's working but now DataSafe Local Backup says there's a problem with the Recovery partition and it can't make the Recovery Discs.

How do I fix that?

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

May 20th, 2017 16:00

It passed all diagnostics. The problem is Dell's "recovery" is pretty ***. Doesn't check for or repair any errors with the MBR, boot sector or BCD - like a proper *restore* or *recovery* should. I found this procedure which worked, plus one extra step I had to do.

Dell's restore should be doing all this to make sure it will actually work.

triplescomputers.com/.../

A trick someone told me. When you’re in the command prompt in the recovery, type notepad at the prompt then hit enter. Go to save then drop down the list to see what drives are available. On the Inspiron 1545 the Recovery partition will be D:

Follow the procedure replacing all instances of C: with D:

When you restart it will FAIL, can’t find \Windows\system32\winload.exe

This can be fixed. You need a Windows 7 bootable install DVD (should work with bootable install USB stick too) to use its repair function. It should find something wrong and give you a repair and restart dialog.

I clicked that and it’s now working, going through the first time setup.

No Events found!