Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2012 13:00

Inspiron 1546 will not boot with replacement battery

I just purchased a replacement (non dell) 9 cell battery. Installed and charged the battery battery will run the computer but when I shut it down it cannot boot it. Power light will come on for a few seconds and go back off. If I plug in the A/C adapter it will boot and continue to run if I unplug it. What could be causing this odd problem?

Thanks

John

803 Posts

June 14th, 2012 14:00

Hi johnm160

Welcome to the Community.

Adding to what Abhishek-B has told, you can also try few other things.

This could be possible because the battery does not hold enough charge, to test this when the system boots to the desktop unplug the adapter and check if the battery charge drains quickly.

Reseat the battery and make sure it is properly seated. Check the Battery health in the Battery Health Meter. It can be launched using the F3 key if the Quick Set application is installed.

Enter the BIOS setup and check if the adapter and battery are detected. To enter BIOS set up, hit the F2 key on the Dell logo screen.

Update the BIOS to the latest version using the link:  www.dell.com/.../19 (Enter the service tag and select the operating system to narrow down the search for the correct BIOS link.)

I would also suggest you to buy a Dell battery as a damaged non-dell battery may cause other problems / damage to hardware.

You may use this link to buy a Dell battery: accessories.us.dell.com/.../DellPartsFamily.aspx

Kindly reply with the results

Hi johnm160 ,

Welcome to the Community.

The issue with new battery might happen because of a faulty motherboard as suggested by ejin 63. However I would request you to unplug the battery and adapter, press the power button for 10 seconds and then plug in the battery once again and then try to boot it up. If it boots up without the adapter it could be issues with the way the battery is fitting into the system.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, boot up the system with the battery and adapter connected and then check the status on the battery icon on the task bar. The status should be “plugged in and charging” if it is something else you would need to check the motherboard or the make of the battery.

Please respond in case you need any further assistance or clarification.

Glad to help!

Abhishek Banerjee

Social Outreach Professional

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's a third-party battery, that could be the problem.  If it's a genuine Dell battery, the battery may be bad - if it's not, then the issue is a faulty system board.

2 Posts

June 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi Thanks for the replies.

The battery is recognized and holds a charge, it has been running on battery power for the last 3 hours. It is just the initial boot that it will not do. I doubt its the motherboard since it will boot with the original battery.

There is no bios listed at all for my service tag number there is not even a catagory for it under drivers and downloads.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2012 16:00

This isn't a BIOS problem - either the battery is defective, or because it's not an OEM Dell battery, won't boot the system.

803 Posts

June 15th, 2012 07:00

Hi johnm160

Thank you for your reply.

You are right, This may not be an issue with the mother board as the system boots fine with the original battery. Check if you have an option to return the non-dell battery and buy a compatible battery from the Dell website.

Check this link if you need a compatible 6 cell battery for Inspiron 1546:

Glad to be of help.

No Events found!