Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2014 18:00

Inspiron 15R 5520 Audio Device Not Detected

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to assist me.. I bought a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 laptop in July of 2012 that is running Windows 7, 64-Bit, *GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

I've recently been encountering a problem where when I try to join a Skype call, my audio will crash and I will have to restart my computer for it to work.  I was fine with that, but today when I arrived home from school I tried to turn on my computer and the sound did not work.  I kept on getting the error that said "No Audio Output Device is installed.  After seeing this, I went to google and Dell's website to get some help.  They all told me to go to my Device manager and uninstall/reinstall, enable/disable, and update my sound drivers.  I've done everything that I could find on the internet and nothing has worked.  My sound is still not working and I would like to know if there is anyone that could actually tell me something that can benefit the sound of my computer.  Sorry for sounding rude, I'm just a little fed up.  

Thank you to all that contribute in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 6th, 2014 20:00

I would like to know if there is anyone that could actually tell me something that can benefit the sound of my computer

Sometimes there is a problem that can't be fixed with a software solution. For example sometimes a bad Microsoft update can trash the audio. You can try using Windows System Restore (type system restore in the Windows search box) and use a date from before today. But often System Restore cannot undo a Microsoft update.

Another reason for that error message is when the audio hardware on the motherboard fails. That kind of problem is not fixable through software. If you have already re-installed your Conexant audio driver and that has not helped, then you can use Factory Image Restore to determine whether or not this is a hardware issue. The restoration will fix any software problem that could have crippled the audio, so if the problem remains after the restoration it is due to hardware failure.

If it turns out to be hardware failure then the solution may be to replace the motherboard. A workaround solution is to get a usb audio adapter. A usb adapter will give you audio through headphones or external speakers, but not through the laptop's internal speakers.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2014 09:00

So you're saying that I should conduct a factory image restore?  If I do so and that does not work, how would I go about getting a fixed motherboard?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 8th, 2014 11:00

So you're saying that I should conduct a factory image restore?

Well, it's a suggestion in answer to your request for someone to tell you something beneficial.It might not be the only solution.

The "No Audio Output Device" error means that Windows is not detecting your audio hardware. The one big fix for it is to re-install the audio driver. Since that did not work then there is probably a problem with Windows itself, or with the hardware. A restore would fix the former problem, or it would define the problem as being in the latter category. You try intermediate steps like doing a "repair install" of Windows, and save the restoration as a last resort.

You can get motherboards on ebay, but a reliable seller that a lot of Dell owners use is the parts-people.com. I don't know if Dell has any available.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2014 14:00

So for a new motherboard on the website parts-people.com (http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=14852) I have a question.  It says that it comes with AMD Radeon graphics, does that mean its an upgrade or a downgrade from my Intel HD Graphics 4000 that came with my laptop?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 9th, 2014 14:00

If you have a question about a parts-people item, I strongly urge you to ask them -- they are experts on replacement parts.

Graphics is outside my area. I can tell you that Intel HD Graphics is part of the Intel i processor (i3, i5, i7) and so no matter what you will still have that "integrated" graphics.

"Discrete"  graphics is an add-on. I see on the 15R 5520 downloads page that Dell offers an AMD Raedon driver, so that tells me that either the 5520 model has the AMD Raedon as a standard feature or it is an option to buy at the time of purchase. If you don't currently have the AMD Raedon then I guess the parts-people MB would be an upgrade. You should ask them for clarification.

You would still have Intel graphics. Usually when you have dual graphics they trade off -- the Intel runs for less intensive graphics to conserve laptop battery, and the discrete runs for more intense applications like games or whatever.

BTW the MB at the parts-people is used, not new.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2015 09:00

Hi I just tried by many of suggestions my question is simple I couldn't find HDMI in output(Graphics option) but  VGA HDMI port available here. The reason I frustrating is now I'm trying to connect HDMI to TV(sony40')

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 30th, 2015 13:00

now I'm trying to connect HDMI to TV

Hello. That is off the topic for this thread. You should start a new thread for your topic and include the full model name of your laptop and its operating system.

In the meantime see the HDMI Audio FAQ.

No Events found!