Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 15R 5520 Memory Upgrade Problem

I have upgraded my laptop from 4GB to 12GB (4+8). After the upgrade, the laptop boots and runs very very slowly.
My laptop came with 4GB ram 1600 single stick. I upgraded the RAM by adding another stick of 8GB same bus and same manufacturer.
The BIOS shows the total memory as 2288MB instead of 12288MB. Windows detects total RAM of 12GB but boots and runs very slowly.

I have updated the BIOS from A06 to A07 trying to resolve the problem but with no luck.

When installing each RAM stick alone (4gb or 8gb), everything works fine, but the issue comes back again when both sticks are mounted together even when switching the places on the sockets.

Looking for your kind support!

November 26th, 2013 11:00

hey :

i checked your post on dell community, i am also thinking to upgrade my ram from 4 to 12 gb by installing 8 gb ram in second slot,

id you did this, then are you facing any kind of issue?? Please reply

Thanks

Rahul

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

Though it isn't officially supported, many have reported 16G will work - so 12 should as well.  The only caveat:  if you have a caching mSATA drive, and go beyond 8G, you will need a larger one than the 32G drive shipped with the system if you want to keep the mSATA cache/Intel Rapid Start partition.

2 Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

Dell Inspiron 5520* I should say

2 Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

Wrong...the Dell Inspiron was designed to support up to 16GB of RAM, not 8GB.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2014 04:00

Inspiron 15r 5520 is upgradable to 8GB max. so u can use either 2 4gb RAM or one 8GB RAM

March 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the maximum supported RAM for the 15R 5520.

Can someone please confirm, is it 16GB or 8GB maximum?

Also, my system (refurbished, and should arrive in 2 weeks time) has 1DIMM 4GB RAM installed, if I add another RAM module - does this have to be 4GB 1 DIMM? Or could I install a new 8GB 1DIMM? So I would end up with the configuration at the top of the screen - 4gb+8gb RAM = 12GB total

Thanks and Best Regards,

Tim

April 21st, 2015 09:00

Hi Rahul,

Have you be able to run the inspiron i5 5520  (3 rd generation) with 10 Gb ram or above . If yes than please let me know what are the changes you did ?

Thanks,

Ashish

April 21st, 2015 10:00

Ashish

this machine can only support maximum 8gb.

Hi Evancase,

Have you be able to run the inspiron i5 5520  (3 rd generation) with 10 Gb ram or above . If yes than please let me know what are the changes you did ?

Thanks,

Ashish

Dear Rahul,

As per abulafi comments that he was able to run 12GB after updating the bios to A11 . Did you tried it after bios update please let me know.

Thanks,

Ashish

April 21st, 2015 11:00

Ashish Bhai:

I know that abulafi upgrade his system but, When i spoke to Dell Customer care, They said that 5520 is only support 8 GB max.

I didn't wanted to spoil my system. I do have one friend he upgrade his system with 12 GB ram. His system is getting too hot after sometime and performance got down too.

Regarding BIOS up gradation-It helps to increase the performance of your system. 

But if your machine supports only 8 GB according to manufacture protocals. I don't think so you have to go for more than 8 GB.

rest is your wish.

Thanks

Rahul 

5 Posts

April 21st, 2015 15:00

Hi anish,

Yes I manage to run my laptop with 16GBs of RAM (8 x 2 Samsung) without any issues since the start date of this post till the moment of this reply.

I hope this answers your question, but without any guarantee.

1 Message

June 13th, 2015 14:00

Hello abulafi,

I installed 2 x 8GB RAM today, yet the total physical memory is still 8GB.
BIOS up to date to A14. Am i missing something that you've probably done?

5 Posts

June 14th, 2015 00:00

Hello abulafi,

I installed 2 x 8GB RAM today, yet the total physical memory is still 8GB.
BIOS up to date to A14. Am i missing something that you've probably done?

Sorry to hear that.

Did you use identical RAM sticks? What is the bus speed for both?

What operating system are you running? Is the RAM not being recognized by both BIOS and OS?

Did you try to mount each of them alone? Try also to place each of the sticks alone while swapping the socket on each trial attempt.

Besides that, I will check the current BIOS version I have and come back to you on that.

March 17th, 2016 07:00

According to the original listing of this model, it supports a maximum of two sticks of 4GB DDR3 1333. The CPU set is stated by Intel to support two sticks of 8GB DDR3 1600. To prevent the user of the machine from messing it up, Dell severely limits user access to BIOS settings, even to the Administrator. Dell has a giant share of both the Desktop & Laptop PCs, and the bulk of the users shouldn't go near the BIOS. Give a curious person who thinks he knows what he's doing, and a few keystrokes can make the PC useless. It's frustrating for those who know how to fiddle with BIOS settings to personalize/customize their PC to get things working the best way possible for that particular user. So, when it first came out of the box, the BIOS would only allow a maximum of two matched sticks of DDR3 1333 of no more than 4GB, each. I imagine that the laptop in this thread is having problems with the mismatched sticks and possibly for exceeding what Dell's BIOS says is possible. Just an educated guess, based upon what Dell publishes as it's limits V Intel's published limits. Why Dell would do this doesn't make much sense to me, as a simple BIOS update allows full access to the CPU's capabilities.
No Events found!