Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2014 03:00

Inspiron 15R n5110 brightness control not working after upgrading to Windows 8.1 (x64)

My Inspiron 15R n5110 laptop is 2-3 years old and it came with windows 7 installed. I installed Windows 8 after that. But when I upgraded to Windows 8.1, within few days I noticed I can't control brightness with Fn keys but other Fn keys work fine. What can I do to solve this problem?

1 Message

September 20th, 2015 16:00

I hope this help others. My problem was related to Display being deactivated on Devices Manager. Once I activated the Generic PnP Display the problem was solved.

June 29th, 2014 04:00

Hi Nafis Abdullah Khan,

Welcome to community. 

You can adjust the brightness using Windows Mobility Center. Here are the steps.

Open Windows Mobility Center to change the settings for display brightness:

1. Touch   to launch the Windows Mobility Center

2. Alternately, you can use the key combination “Windows key + X” to launch Windows Mobility Center
  3. The ‘Display brightness’ panel only shows a slider bar
  4. You can now adjust the brightness using the slider bar
  5. It is advised that you choose maximum brightness while playing game

Do you use ‘F4’ and ‘F5’ keys when you play the game? Based on my research, (this is considered as normal behavior) it can be a behavior of the game that you play on your computer.
Since your system comes with switchable graphics option, so there is a possibility that when you play the game, it uses GeForce GT 525M graphics card and when you use Alt+Tab to comes out of the game, it uses Intel graphics card.

• Can you download Quickset : http://dell.to/1mahfMd  Download File and install it, restart the computer and test the function keys or media keys. Also, I recommend to install Dell Support Center, this application will check current updates and patches available for your computer.

Please reply if you have any questions.

June 29th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried with mobility center. I can move the slider but the brightness doesn't change. I remember I tried that before and the effect can be seen after restarting, not instantly. Not only in game but I can't also change brightness from desktop in any way, neither from mobility center nor windows settings, nor  by holding Fn key and F4 / F5 togather. Other Function keys work just fine. For example, to change sound volume, I can use Fn + F11 or Fn + F12, etc. with no problem. I have QuickSet version A02 installed, which is an upgraded version than the link you provided. Do you suggest to try reinstalling it to A01 version?

Regards

June 29th, 2014 06:00

Hi Nafis Abdullah Khan,

You may trying installing Quickset version A01. But did the issue occur after windows upgrade? Were you able to control brightness through functions keys when windows 7 was installed? 

It may be due to windows upgrade. Do let us know we will further look in to this for you. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 29th, 2014 08:00

June 29th, 2014 09:00

Hello again,

OK, I'll try installing the A01 version although may be I've tried that one before too, i do not remember. And yes, it happened after upgrading to windows 8.1. It was OK with windows 8 and Windows 7 both. I am not sure if it's because of any particular update after installing windows 8.1 but it started not working after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

July 1st, 2014 23:00

Hi Nafis Abdullah Khan,

Quickset driver is only compatible for windows 8 right now. If you want to continue using Win 8.1  then Fn keys will not respond. Else you can downgrade to Win 8 for Fn key to work again. 

11 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 00:00

After Windows 8.1 upgraded adjust screen brightness not working. So follow simple steps to solve screen brightness problem in Windows 8.1. 

Solved: Brightness Not Working In Windows 8.1

1 Message

August 29th, 2015 21:00

my inspiron N5110 laptop is 2 years old and it came with windows 7. I installed a new windows 7 ultimate.but I can not controll my brightness with Fn keys..what can I do to solve this problem?

1 Message

January 8th, 2016 20:00

Thank you.  This problem started today on my Inspiron 15 laptop.  My device manager already contained a Generic PnP Monitor, so I right-clicked it and uninstalled it, and then I reinstalled it.  And, the brightness keys work again. :-)

No Events found!