Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BM

November 5th, 2009 06:00

Inspiron 15xx Power Supply PA-21, compatible with older Inspirons PA-12??

I was rather perturbed a few months ago when my new Inspiron came with the new "fancy" octogonal plug.   After years of making the same, power supply (for not only Inspirons, but the Latitude line to) why the switch???  I digress . . .

I've been an Inspiron user for years (have been through 3 of them before this new one)  and have purchased and procured multiple power supplies over the years for Home, Work, Travel bag, etc. 

The new octogonal style is the PA-21 while the older style is the PA-12.  They both have the same basic electrical specs (19.2vDC output @ 3.34Amps) and the plug physically does fit.  Though I"m hesitant in actually powering my new machine with the old power supply.

I've done alot of searching out there and can't seem to find the answer.  and i can't find how to search these forms either.

So, can I use the old PA-12 power supplies in place of the new PA-21?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 8th, 2009 05:00

I don't understand.

You claim that the new power supply comes with a "new" octagonal plug that you hadn't seen before yet the older PA-12's plug will fit also? How is it possible?

December 8th, 2009 05:00

BUMP . . . No responses?

1 Message

September 29th, 2011 06:00

Yes and No.

Yes it "fits". Yes it will work.

But it fits loosely, and gets bent/brakes very fast because it doesn't fit properly.

I would strongly recommend only using the octagonal one.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 29th, 2011 07:00

The octagonal plug prevents rotation and breaking the tiny center pin off.

No Events found!