Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 15z 5523 internal mic not working - (have already tried installing drivers but no change)

I am using Windows 8. I have deleted, uninstalled, reinstalled the drivers, factory reset my computer, went back to a check point, called in to Dell Support and have had no luck. I need this computer for my college classes and to take exams online and I am not able to do that unless I have a working mic. I have tried using the sound configure option where it scans for problems but it says everything passed, computer acts like the mic is working but they cannot hear me when on ProctorU and there is no sound when I recorded from my webcam. My speakers and other sounds work perfectly fine. 

I have contacted Microsoft and they said it was a problem with Dell and not Windows.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 24th, 2016 10:00

factory reset my computer

Hello. A system recovery (factory reset) is the gold standard for determining if an audio problem is in the software or hardware. If the mic worked when the laptop was new, then it would have worked again after a factory reset except in the case of hardware failure. The reset would have fixed all software causes of failure.

Sometimes the mic fails either because it has slipped out of alignment with the hole, and sometimes the connection is loose. If the laptop is still under warranty Dell will fix it. If not you can take it to a shop or try to fix it yourself. An alternative is to get an inexpensive usb mini mic and use that.

No Events found!