Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 17 7737 Keyboard Backlight

On my old XPS, when the screen turned off, the keyboard backlight would turn off with it automatically. My new Inspiron 17 does not do this, and I can't find anything that seems to control the behavior. Is there a way to do this?

Alternately, is there a software solution to control the keyboard backlight?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 25th, 2015 22:00

Hi DrRandyG,

The Dell quickset application needs to be installed for the function keys to work. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the Dell Quickset application from Application section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Press < Fn >< F10 > once to turn on the keyboard back light. Press < Fn >< F10 > second time to increase the brightness of the keyboard back light and pressing < Fn >< F10 > for the third time turns off the keyboard back light.

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2015 15:00

That does not help; I know how to do it manually. I want to automate it - either have it automatically turn off with the screen, or have a software option to control it with an executable or command line control.

2 Posts

January 28th, 2015 09:00

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 28th, 2015 09:00

Hi DrRandyG,

The backlit keyboard should turn off when the system goes to sleep. I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

4 Posts

January 28th, 2015 12:00

The keyboard light does go off when the PROCESSOR goes to sleep, but I have it set not to sleep while plugged in - I often have things running all night. I want the light to go off when the DISPLAY goes to sleep.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2015 08:00

Hi DrRandyG,

You will not be able to disable the sleep on the system and also turn off the display and keyboard backlit as they are correlated.

No Events found!