Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2017 20:00

Inspiron 17 7779

I keep having an issue trying to turn my laptop on, the power button doesn't always work to turn the laptop on. I'll try and turn it on four or five times before the computer will actually turn on, sometimes I'll have to leave it alone for a while and try to turn it on again later - and that doesn't even always work!! Has anyone else had a problem like this?? Most trouble shooting says to pull the battery out and hold the power button down - yadda yadda, but the battery isn't accessible without unscrewing the laptop!! What do i do??

May 16th, 2017 01:00

Hi AlyzabythD,

It is not possible to remove battery from your Inspiron 17 7779. You can do power drain by following the steps given below:-

Step 1 - Unplug the AC adapter.

Step 2 - Remove all connect devices from your laptop.

Step 3 - Hold the power button for 30 secs.

Step 4 - Now connect the AC adapter back and switch on the laptop.

Please try this solution and inform me still if you face the same issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 16th, 2017 09:00

I keep having an issue trying to turn my laptop on, the power button doesn't always work to turn the laptop on. I'll try and turn it on four or five times before the computer will actually turn on, sometimes I'll have to leave it alone for a while and try to turn it on again later - and that doesn't even always work!! Has anyone else had a problem like this?? Most trouble shooting says to pull the battery out and hold the power button down - yadda yadda, but the battery isn't accessible without unscrewing the laptop!! What do i do??

I would have just a couple of questions..  First, do you know the condition of the system when you hit the button?  Could it be in hibernation or asleep which might give you different indications?

And secondly, when you push the button does it appear to move freely and even produce a click sound?

The button is located where I accidently push it all the time.  If I am in some configuration other than laptop mode, it is harder to push the button fully.

Possibly your button has become worn or maybe even restricted in some manner.  But for testing, please make sure you are pressing it with enough force and the system doesn't slide away.

I haven't really used my system enough for it to show wear and tear but my button still operates normally.

August 9th, 2017 09:00

I experienced the same issue, however now the laptop does not power on at all. I have owned this unit for 1 month (and not daily driver). There is no wear or physical sign of damage to button - it clicks as it should.

I followed the steps to discharge the battery using the two methods available - battery pull and power button hold for 30 seconds.

I also tried different outlets.

The LED light at the bottom center of the bezel at the front usually lights up when charging - it does not light up for me. I have contacted a dell rep in my geo, but I am very let down by this and need to know the cause so I can decide what to do because the probs usually repeat (depending on cause)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 9th, 2017 14:00

I have had my system since Nov. with little usage.  The last couple of weeks I have noticed if the power plug is out just slightly I will get a message the Power Adapter is not recognized.  So there may be something happing with yours.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 9th, 2017 16:00

I was waiting for my system to charge up but the white light is not on when fully charged.

To wake it up, I hit the power button once and wait a couple of seconds.

I have seen times when one of my systems will not start unless I unplug the power adapter.

August 31st, 2017 06:00

I have also tried different Dell power adapters that have matching power ratings.

My question is this: would this be the kind of problem that would recur after the warranty fix?

Since many of us are having the same issue, this might imply a defect in the design of this system, in which case it would not matter if the part is replaced during warranty.

This would be bad because I do not live in the US and cannot return this unit to where I bought it from.

No Events found!