Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 17 R 5720 blank screen

I am now part of the "extensive" club which is having major issues with my Inspiron 17R 5720 laptop. It crashed last night and will not boot properly. I have read numerous identical posts which, unfortunately, no solution has been given. My computer was purchased 20 November 2012 (stull under warranty). Of course, it did not come with an operating system (Windows 8)  64 bit disk......not that this would be useful since a cd/dvd is not part of the current boot sequence. There is no way for me to enter into a diagnostic mode. My F2 and F12 keys do function.........but  nothing useful has come of this:(  I am open to any suggestions.......other than powering down with the Start button, removing battery, reseating RAM chips.....have also tried connecting HDMI cable to an exterior monitor (does not work)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 25th, 2013 13:00

Run the Diagnostics to see if the hardware is OK by using F12. Contact Support if it shows a hardware problem. You could have a hard drive problem. New computers have a dynamic boot menu that changes at every boot depending on which hardware is available for booting.. Put a boot disk (you should have made a repair disk or a datasafe disk) in the drive and select the dvd drive in the boot menu. Access the boot menu by tapping F12 as soon as you reboot--don't wait for a screen.

If the hardware is OK, try returning to Factory Settings. Get help from Dell Support.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2013 16:00

Unfortunately, the diagnostics option is not listed when clicking F12.

1.3K Posts

June 4th, 2013 09:00

Hi Sandy1010,

Has the issue been resolved? You could run hardware diagnostics by pressing FN+Power button together.

No Events found!