Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2014 05:00

Inspiron 17, specific power problem (bug ?)

Hello everyone,

i recently got a new Dell Inspiron 17 (3737) and i encountered a very strange behaviour.

The short version is, that sometimes i can't turn the notebook on until i unplug it.

I tested some situations and i think that i narrowed it down enough by now.

Now i can reproduce it.

The AC charger has to be plugged in, the battery has to be in the laptop and the battery has to be below 100% (95% to be sure) of charge.

In that case the battery is charging. If i turn the laptop off, it is still charging. Indicated by the small white led on the front.

Now, in that moment, when the battery hits 100% charge, the white led turns off and i can't turn the laptop back on.

Absolutely nothing happens if i press the power button or anything else.

Until i unplug the AC. After that everything works fine.

But that is just a workaround. The laptop sits on the desk 99% of the time. AC is always plugged in.

But for some reason, i guess battery health, the battery discharges to 96% sometimes and starts charging again.

At first i had BIOS A06, that was the worst. The problem occured almost evey single time i used the laptop.

Sometimes even when i took the battery out !

I downgraded to A05 and it was way better. But still not ok.

Now i'm on A07 and it's the best of these 3, but i still can reproduce the problem.

But this time, i think, with the battery removed, it's ok.

Prior to A07, the Problem occured even under Windows.

Now it seems like it's only a problem if i shut it down with a battery below 100% (so it continues charging after shutdown)

I even took the harddrive out and tried a linux live cd. And even without any OS at all, just going into the bios until the battery is down to 95%, shutting it off, wait till it's charged up, and there we go, it won't turn on.

So it's not a problem of the OS. (I'm using Win 7)

I even tried another AC charger, the 65W cahrger from my other dell (vostro) fits and works.

Maybe it has something to to with this dell battery managment tools i jused once. There where these options for dektop battery mode and longevity mode, i activated them once, but deaktivated them soon after, and now i even uninstalled them. but maybe they  Substitute character removed as per TOU> something up in a nonvolatile memory somewhere, that i can't clear.

I called dell tech support about this once. They told me to reinstall drivers, but nothing helped. And after i downgraded to A05 it seemed ok at first, so the case got closed. Now i'm waiting for monday to call again, until then i'm seeking help here.

They even told me to remove the BIOS battery, but that is impossible on this laptop without removing the mainboard. and i don't want to do that, because of possible warranty issues. I fear that even a replacement laptop, in case that dell will do that, won't help, since it seems to be a software problem, and the new one would have the same software.

Anyone with similar problems ? Anyone with the same laptop who can reproduce the problem ?

Suggestions ? I think i could use the laptop without a battery and wait vor BIOS A08.....

February 19th, 2014 05:00

Problem solved, Dell replaced the mainboard

April 27th, 2014 12:00

Not having the exact same problem, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. I have the same laptop. Got it 2 weeks ago. Haven't had any issues until yesterday. It was turned on, sitting on the table, working just fine. Walked into the other room and came back 2 minutes later to find that is was off. It will not turn back on for anything. I tried all the normal things, take the battery out, hold the power button, plug it back up and put the battery back in. I even took everything out and let it sit overnight before trying again. It will not turn on. There are no lights or sounds of any sort. It's not the adapter either. I switched adapters out with another laptop. That made no difference. I am now waiting on a box and return label to send it to have the motherboard replaced. I just wonder if this could be related at all to your problem. 

I started searching because, like you were, I am worried that even if they fix it now, this problem might persists.

No Events found!