Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2009 14:00

Inspiron 1720 - No External Mic since moved to Windows 7

Hi, Since I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit from Vista, my external Mic no longer works. Built in Mic is ok.

It's an Inspiron 1720.

I have deleted and reinstalled the latest Sigmatel driver from Dell. Also reinstalled the Chipset driver. Troubleshooter is not indicating any problems.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks !

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2010 09:00

Terry,

The site with the R171786 is down as of Friday. The Dell liaisons are supposed to let us know when it is back up.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2010 11:00

I had the same issue on my Inspiron 1420.  I still do not have  the built-in jack working, but I found a really simple solution - I purchased a $4.57 USB headset adapter from Overstock.com.  I plugged it in and it just worked!  I can make Skype calls again :emotion-2:.

Link to the Adapter: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/USB-to-Headset-Microphone-PC-Sound-Card-Adapter/2507197/product.html?sec_iid=40420

Hope this helps!

Terry

1 Message

October 30th, 2010 15:00

I have heard that the sound quality is extremely bad with that adapter :S    I also have the same problem and have spent more than a day trying to solve this issue. I've read like 1000 posts. I have a 1720 inspiron with Windows 7 installed.  Driver version for Sigma Tel High Definition Audio is:  6.10.0.5614. I cannot seem to succesfully make the external Mic work. It does recognice it when I plug it in through the 3.5 jack but the volume level will just not do anything when I speak. And It looks like this has been going on for some time :(

1 Message

August 26th, 2011 03:00

Hi JamesThe Expert

Thanks for your help. It works. I just did it. **** Your a star!!!

1 Message

December 27th, 2011 13:00

sugesstion put your drivers online where one can get them for your product i have played hell trying to get them after i had a laptop crash   your might get more buissness if you do this i will never get a laptop or any other pc that is made by dell i have emachines pc and it did it it took me 5 min to get the help and drivers i needed

1 Message

December 27th, 2011 13:00

Hello,

I am having the same issue of being unable to use an external mic to my Inspiron 1720 with an upgrade to Windows7.  Would I need to uninstall anything? or do I go directly to the link and start to download.?

I appreciate your help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 27th, 2011 15:00

I am having the same issue of being unable to use an external mic to my Inspiron 1720 with an upgrade to Windows7.

Win 7 has a basic audio driver which is good enough to produce audio, but to get the jacks to work you have to install the Sigmatel audio driver. There is not a 7 version of the driver (Sigmatel went out of business before 7 came out) so you have to use the Vista version of the driver and install it using Vista compatibility mode.

Do that by downloading the Sigmatel R171786.exe audio driver and extract the files (unzip or unpack) to the default location but cancel the installation process. Go to the folder on the hard drive to which you unpacked the driver files
c:\Dell\Drivers\R171786  
Find the setup.exe file and right click on it. Select the Properties. Find the compatibility tab and select Vista.

If the external mic jack still does not work then there are some configuration issues with the internal mic array.

No Events found!