Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 14th, 2009 11:00

Inspiron 1720 died suddenly - no shutdown, no warning - and will not turn on any more

Inspiron 1720 died suddenly - no shutdown, no warning - and will not turn on any more. I have never had any issues with the battery or adapter, apart from the occasional "this adapter not recognized" message, which could easily be rectified by simply unplugging the power supply from the computer and plugging it back in again. The computer would then continue to charge just fine, and it held an excellent charge.

We were browsing the internet, not doing anything special at all, when suddenly the computer just went black and dead. No warning, whatsoever, the battery was at about 40% charge and was charging. I had used the outlet it was plugged into many times before. The computer will not turn on again in any manner... with the battery in, without the battery in, with the main power supply connected, without.... another interesting thing to note is that when the power adapter is plugged into the wall WITHOUT being also plugged into the laptop, its little green light is lit as normal. However, the second you plug in the laptop, the little green light goes out.

Obviously this is pretty hard to diagnose as it's essentially a paperweight right now... I'm handy enough with computers and let me tell you, I hope this is a power supply issue, and I hope this is still under warranty. When I get home from work I will need to enter my service tag to see.

This laptop is less than 2 years old, I am literally not even finished paying for it yet. If this is a motherboard issue wherein the entire laptop needs to be replaced and Dell is NOT willing to cover the cost, this will be beyond unacceptable as this computer is still ridiculously new. I have been recommending Dell to people and will have egg on my face if that's the case. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me fix this (aside from calling technical support, which I certainly will do) or about what the cause could be?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

When the LED on the adapter goes out upon plugging in the notebook, the system board is faulty.  If you're under warranty, Dell will replace the mainboard.  If not, replacement is at your expense.

2 Posts

Thank you for your advice, however terrifying.

June 21st, 2009 00:00

this just happened to my vostro 1500 (twin of the inspiron 1520).  same exact scenario except my battery was fully charged and i never had the adapter message.

i purchased mine in jan of 08, so it's about 5 months out of warranty.

but something doesnt jive.  system board just dies out of the blue?

i put in a warranty extension request, maybe i can get it fixed.

June 21st, 2009 13:00

well my second post got deleted there is somebody on ebay currently with the same problem. item number 230349639534

auction is over now.

seems like dell was using some faulty system boards for this to be a common problem.

June 24th, 2009 15:00

yes marbles, this seems like a major problem that is becoming quite prevalent and Dell does not seem very interested in acknowledging the situation. here is a thread that details my experience as well as some of sara's above,  feel free to share your experience so we can hopefully share ideas and obtain some favorable resolutionwithout our posts being deleted and/or suddenly going missing.

http://getsatisfaction.com/dell/topics/inspiron_1720_died_suddenly_no_shutdown_no_warning_and_will_not_turn_on_any_more?utm_content=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

November 21st, 2009 18:00

I had the exact same problem - it's the system board - needs to be replaced.  After I had it replaced it works again - I had this done under a service contract.

No Events found!