Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 1721 will not recognise hard drive

I have replaced the hard drives with new blank ones, but I cannot now reinstall Vista from the Reinstallation DVD because no drives are seen.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest available version, but still no joy.

I have taken out the drives and, using an external HDD port, can access them from another PC, so I'm certain there's no issues with the drives themselves.

I've tried Paragon 2010 Suite, but even that cannot "see" the drives, so I'm deducing that it's an issue peculiar to this Dell model.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Dave

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 13th, 2013 10:00

This system uses an AMD chipset - you likely need the AMD RAID drivers

support.amd.com/.../raid_windows.aspx

5 Posts

April 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi,

I found this thread en.community.dell.com/.../18907330.aspx

The poster has the exact same configuration as me.  In his solution he selected the ATI driver, but as you say we have the AMD processor so logically it should be the AMD driver.

Vista is now installing smoothly!

Thanks for your support!

Dave

5 Posts

April 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi,

I found this thread en.community.dell.com/.../18907330.aspx

The poster has the exact same configuration as me.  In his solution he selected the ATI driver, but as you say we have the AMD processor so logically it should be the AMD driver.

Vista is now installing smoothly!

Thanks for your support!

Dave

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 13th, 2013 08:00

Does the BIOS (F2 at powerup) see the drive?

5 Posts

April 13th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

Under System, Device Info it's showing Primary Hard Drive = 160 GB HDD & Second Hard Drive = 160 GB HDD.

To illustrate the problem more:  I installed Ubuntu from the CD-ROM and from within Ubuntu I could partition & format the drives.  But when I then went to install Ubuntu on the HDD, there were none available!

Cheers,

Dave

1 Message

May 14th, 2016 21:00

OK, so I too had this issue. Colleague of mine brought me his old Dell Inspiron 1721 that he wanted to upgrade. I pulled the 80GB drive, threw in a 320GB drive. Powered up, booted into F2, set HDD as only non raid option available. Saved and then attempted to install Windows 7 Home Basic X86. Only issue, no HDD is being detected by Windows 7 Install. I reboot, go back to setup, verify the HDD is actually detected. For the sake of argument I run diagnostics. No issues found. Then I stumble upon some info online advising that you have to install the AMD chipset drivers  in order to be able to install Windows. From here, I went to the Dell Support site, located page for this device. Changed OS to Windows Vista as my OS.  Went down to the "Serial ATA" section, then downloaded the driver listed as "ATI Serial ATA Storage/RAID, v.2.5.1540.48, A01." From here I had to execute and install the file on a USB. Went back to the Windows Install, again no drive found. This time selected load driver, browsed to the USB and loaded the driver and VIOLA the HDD is now detected.  Installed Windows normally from there. I should add that I did try install X64 version first and it failed. That being said, I think this laptop may only take a 32bit OS.

No Events found!