Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 17R 5720 beeps 3 times, 4 times, flashes, and won't boot up.

It was at least 4 beeps. Then the 3 lights on the upper right above my keyboard flash, 1, 2, 3 one at a time. I bet this is a standard response to some internal problem, but I don't know what it is. The video doesn't come on, and there is no sound other than the beeps.

So to reiterate: 
Upon pressing the power on button, 

1. 3 loud beeps, followed by 4 loud, repeating beeps.
  2. The three lights above and to the right of my keyboard flash one at a time, 1, 2, 3 [from L to R], then 3,2,1, then all of them on, then faded until all of them off.
  3. The computer continues to beep 4 times in a row and repeating, with the lights off.

I took off some panels and blew a ton of air threw the computer, removing the dust and hair in the computer, but the symptoms are still the same.

I've taken apart most of the computer trying to figure out what the problem is, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious physical damage to anything. I am prepared to replace parts inside of the computer, if there is something that is damaged. I hope that isn't necessary.

Since the computer won't even boot up, I don't think any information is necessary about my OS. Can we narrow it down to the part that is broken? I bet this is a very common signal.

Thanks so much!

~Tiber

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 21st, 2016 15:00

Four beeps is a memory error.  Unplug, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove both memory modules and power up without them.  You should hear a 2-beep code.  If you don't, the mainboard is bad and will need to be replaced.

If you do, install one memory module at a time in  each socket until you isolate the bad module (replace the faulty memory module with a new one) or the bad socket (which will mean replacing the mainboard).

January 22nd, 2016 07:00

Alright, I followed your directions completely.

After removing battery and power supply and RAM, then pressing the power button for 30 seconds, I get:

(I believe) 2 beeps, but the beeps are punctuated and very hard to tell if it’s 1, 2, or 3 beeps.

Then 2 beeps repeating.

When I put the RAM back in, I tried every combination. 2 RAM sticks in 2 different sockets, alternating, both at a time… Every time I put the RAM back in, I get

(I believe) 3 or 4 beeps, then 4 beeps repeating. It’s hard to tell the first round of beeps because it’s kind of punctuated. It could be 3 or 4 I can’t really tell, even after hearing it 5 times.

Where is this website with the beep codes? Is it different for the 17R 5720?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 08:00

" Where is this website with the beep codes? Is it different for the 17R 5720 "?

:emotion-2:

Here's the manual for the 17R 5720; Beep codes - page 89). Please click on the link below the photo:

downloads.dell.com/.../MMD_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

January 22nd, 2016 10:00

From what I wrote in my 2nd post, can you determine what is wrong here?

I have 2 pieces of RAM, and I doubt both of them broke. Also, there has has been no real damage to the computer or openings to the motherboard, so I doubt it's the RAM slots that are broken. I blew a ton of dust and lint and hair out of the computer earlier, so I'd expect it to work much better.

You who have expertise in these beep codes, what's my next step?

I think later today I'll take the RAM out of my other laptop and see if it's compatible, and see if it works in this laptop. And vice versa with the RAM on my Dell and my other laptop. What else can I do?

January 22nd, 2016 16:00

So I found another stick of compatible RAM, that is working and wasn't part of the original computer.
I stuck it into the non-booting I7R 5720, and the beeps coming out are the same as they are when I load one of the other 2 RAM sticks in.

Therefore:

1. The RAM sticks are most likely fine.
  2. There is a problem with either 
    1. The RAM slots
    2. Something else in the motherboard that has to do with RAM.

The beeps this time were: (I believe) 3 beeps, then 4 beeps repeating. It's hard to tell the first beep because the sound is punctuated and hard to discern.

I'm not normally a Dell computer user. Does anyone know what the problem could be, and if this is a normal part of Dell ownership?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 09:00

Correction: Coin-cell battery, page 42 - owner manual):

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-se-7720_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 09:00

And vice versa with the RAM on my Dell and my other laptop. What else can I do?

You might as well replace the coin cell battery - page 24 of your manual). Just go to your local Walmart or Dollar store and buy one for the price of about $2.00 - $5.00. By the way, good troubleshooting.

January 25th, 2016 14:00

The coin-cell battery isn't located in the easy-to-access back port, but the difficult one under the keyboard.
Unless it is actually the problem, I wouldn't want to replace it.

However, I have an update to the problem.

"I was on my computer and the computer suddenly made a static-blue image, and then shut off."

This doesn't sound like a battery problem. It was probably a static discharge on the motherboard caused by lint and dust. What I'd like to know is, does this beeping and RAM problem something that other Dell computer owners have dealt with quite a bit? Could it be a known defect, and an easy solution? 

Thanks.

No Events found!