Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron 17R N7110 battery says "Plugged in, Not charging."

I've had my computer since June 2011 and now it says this when I click on battery. Right now, it's 89% charged and won't charge anymore. I went to battery status and it said "Battery Charging Disabled" but I'm not sure why since I didn't change any battery settings. Under battery health it says "your battery is performing normally."
What am i supposed to do ?

November 4th, 2016 13:00

We have seen this particular model several times in the course of our computer repair business.  They always have loose or broken power connectors and usually the laptop base is broken too, so the power jack is moving around.  Replacing the power jack is what will fix the "plugged in, not charging issue.  You will see a broken orange wire when you take out the old power jack, which was likely caused by the loose power jack.  You will pay about $15-$20 for the power jack on Amazon.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 25th, 2013 17:00

Hi katie629,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
3. You will now be on the BIOS screen
4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system and check if the Battery is charging Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

904 Posts

Looks like Ravi beat me to this ... 

904 Posts

Hi Katie,

It could be that the Adapter is not being detected by your computer. To confirm that please follow the steps below.

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo to enter BIOS.
  2. Now you should navigate to 'Device Info' (Follow the screenshot)

Let me know what the 'AC Adapter type' displays

2 Posts

I will try this right now

2 Posts

December 14th, 2013 09:00

I am having the exact same problem. I upgraded the Bios but that did not work. My AC adapter is shown in the as working.

1 Message

December 12th, 2015 15:00

My BIOS recognizes my adapter but my battery will not charge above 5%. I'm plugged in and had to remove the battery to come online to type this. Do I need a new battery?

1 Message

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hi Ravi,

I am having this same problem as well. I have purchased a new battery, a new adapter, and a new charger port. What is the next step?

No Events found!