Highlighted
CosmoHill
1 Copper

Inspiron 17R N7110 mSATA Mini (Half Size) SSD

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Laptop Inspiron 17R N7110 with a SSD for Windows boot. I do only have one place where the HDD is already built in and I want to keep the HDD.

When I was removing the dust inside the Laptop at the fan I saw the (half) "mini-card"-Slots. In one I have the WLAN, but the otherone is empty. So my Idea was to add a  mSATA Mini (Half Size) SSD.

I saw this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-HybriDisk-Software/dp/B00JF4CUBO/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

But I do not know if this could work (as boot drive for Win8). Do this fit as (half) "mini-card" ? Is SATA III at this slot supported? What do I have to change at BIOS?

Thanks to everyone who answer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Inspiron 17R N7110 mSATA Mini (Half Size) SSD

Jump to solution

The hybrid drive is the best option for this system (short of getting a full SSD) -- there is no way to put an mSATA SSD in this system.

The system takes standard, 2.5" hard drives up to 9.5 mm in height.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

There's no mention in the manual of mSATA support - nor does Crucial list any mSATA drives as being compatible with the N7110.  That is convincing evidence your system won't take an mSATA drive -- mini-PCIe slots won't take mSATA drives unless they're wired to do so, which in all likelihood your system is not.

Highlighted
CosmoHill
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for answering emoticon.Smile.title

Ok this means that the 17r n7110 has a mini-PCIe slot and does not support mSATA.

I found this on wikipedia: "Despite sharing the mini-PCI Express form factor, an mSATA slot is not necessarily electrically compatible with Mini PCI Express. For this reason, only certain notebooks are compatible with mSATA drives."

But this means I could plug in any mini-PCIe (half-size) Card?

Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/MR15-Dual-Micro-Cards-adapter/dp/B00B2CZ4XI/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

I am a bit confused :emotion-18:, there are no mini-PCIe SSD, right? But I also find things like this: http://www.amazon.com/Kingspec-64GB-PATA-miniPCIE-Vostro/dp/B008KWD0Z2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1?ie=UTF8... and this seems to be not SATA?

Tags (2)
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The first one is for secure digital cards - not mSATA.  They're OK for storage but can't be used as a boot device (and are too slow for OS use anyway).

The other one is for a system that has an EIDE controller - which yours does not.

Neither will do what you want.

Highlighted
CosmoHill
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes I know that the micro sd cards are to slow for boot, but this mini PCIe card would theoretically work in the slot as additional storage. Because I do not have any useage for that slot.

So there is no way to add ssd at this mini-card slot to improve the boot speed?

As an alternative I could use a hybrid sshd storage instead of the bulit in hdd. This will boost the system and I will keep a "normal" hdd. But the cooler solution is if the ssd at the mini-card slot would have worked.

How thin must the sshd be to fit in the 17r n7110? 

Tags (1)
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The hybrid drive is the best option for this system (short of getting a full SSD) -- there is no way to put an mSATA SSD in this system.

The system takes standard, 2.5" hard drives up to 9.5 mm in height.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
CosmoHill
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ejn63, thank you for your good and fast answers. emoticon.BigSmile.title My questions are now answered.

Shotiko
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same laptop and the same problem. I wanna know what did you do.

Can I install SSD on mini card slot near WLAN or not?

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

If it's an N7110, no - there is no mSATA support in this  model.

Highlighted
Shotiko
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, it is. And what is solution at last, I should replace HDD with SSD and use HDD from external SATA port? ://