Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 - Audio coming from both headphones and speakers

When I plug in my headphones, sound still comes from my speakers.

The popup asking what device I plugged in doesn't come up anymore whenever I plug in my speakers - however it does for the microphone jack.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 6th, 2016 12:00

It's difficult to say 100% for sure that it is a hardware failure because there is not a diagnostic test. If you have Win10 you could revert back to the operating system in which the jack worked and see if it still works there.

If you have the original operating system that came with the laptop, you can perform a system recovery (return the laptop back to the original factory configuration). Doing that will either fix the problem or confirm that it is a hardware failure.

To the best of my knowledge your laptop model does not have a replaceable audio port circuit board. If I am correct about that then you have to replace the motherboard to replace the jack, unless you can perform work on the motherboard. You could be right about something being bent.

A simple solution is to get an inexpensive usb audio jack and use it for headphones and your internal audio system when you want the speakers to play.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 6th, 2016 06:00

Hello. Go to the Inspiron 17R SE 7720 ftp page and download & install a fresh copy of the IDT audio driver. Get the one for your operating system (the one marked WB64A and WT64 is for Win 8.1 and 10, 64 bit).

If that doesn't fix it then switch to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If that doesn't fix it either then there might be hardware failure of the headphone jack.

10 Posts

January 6th, 2016 08:00

It seems to be a hardware failure then, is there anything I can do really to fix it as my warranty has expired.

I feel like the headphone jack itself needs to be replaced or maybe bent into shape if that's a thing

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 6th, 2016 12:00

I assume that you ran the native driver test?

1 Message

January 31st, 2016 02:00

de-install the idt driver.

worked for me.

No Events found!