This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 05:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 Fan speed problem.

Hello,

I have weird problem with fan in my Inspiron 17R SE 7720. When I am playing some graphics intensive games my GPU is overheating. But when i reinstall nVidia graphic drivers, everything is allright for some days. Then it returns to overheating. Also I discovered, the fan is running at higher speed when i reinstall the drivers (It is making more noise). What I should do?

I am running Windows 7 64bit

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 05:00

Hi dobrakmato,

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

I recommend BIOS update on the computer.

I have provided a link below for   BIOS update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverId=76N71&osCode=W764&fileId=3080131888

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.
  3. Turn off the System
  4. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Run diagnostics on the computer. (Hold down the FN + Power button simultaneously).

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 06:00

All test passed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 06:00

Just done BIOS update. When the flashing process starts, the fan was running on 100%. I am sure the fan is clean. Going to run the Diagnostics Tool now.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 15:00

Hi dobrakmato,

Kindly let me know if the issue is fixed on the computer?

If the issue still persists and if the system is under warranty, kindly private message me the service tag of the computer.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, below link would help you in contacting expired warranty services (this is for US based customers):

http://dell.to/4LOBWi

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

January 29th, 2013 05:00

Hello,

I have quite a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron 17r SE bought  in August (2012). Running intensive programs (read games) the laptop shutdowns. Although I think it is a temperature problem (CPU temperature goes to ±90°C) I'm not sure. (I can briefly see the shutdown blueish screen though). I play alot and it's different every day; sometimes it's twice a day sometimes not at all.

No critical errors are visible in the logs. I've updated the BIOS & Graphics drivers and cleaned the vents.

Any suggestions; it is still under warranty and cannot live with this problem. (I buy approximatly 2 dells a year and this is my first big problem I've encountered.)

Not without greetings,

Dimitri Roose

1 Message

January 15th, 2014 13:00

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue. My laptop keeps shutting down whenever I use graphic intensive applications. I have checked the temperature whilst running games and it rises to 98 degrees celsius and the processor speed throttles down to 0.16Ghz at 3% utilization! My sound then distorts and graphics run in slow motion until eventually the clock speed lowers so much that the laptop just cuts out. I have a picture of it but it comes up the largest file size if 64kB when I try to upload it. Perhaps my GPU needs some new thermal paste?

Please help my poor laptop!

Michael Ball

1 Message

April 26th, 2014 16:00

Is there a customizable fan profile? I have had the heat issue since new, i changed to a 512gb ssd which reduced slighlty the overall temp, and i also reseated the heatsink and fan and applied a better thermal compound. But really what i'd like is to be able to chose the fan speed. i dont mind the fan noise as long as its cool when i game

No Events found!