Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2012 10:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 can't change hard disk boot order

Since I updated the BIOS to version A11, the boot order of the hard disk can't be changed. No matter what order of the hard disk is set in BIOS, my Inspiron always tries to boot the hard disk in the primary drive bay. Please be noted that I have added a SSD to the secondary drive bay and installed Windows 8 to the SSD. My Inspiron won't boot unless I put the SSD in the primary bay. If my memory serves me right, the boot order selection worked with the factory BIOS.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 12th, 2012 13:00

Hi DigitalTuner,

The latest BIOS may not support the selecting the hard drive boot order due to the UEFI features and recommend you to connect the SSD or the drive that has Operating System to the primary bay.

December 12th, 2012 15:00

I am just curious. I found this problem when I installed the RST (rapid storage technology) feature. I needed to put the mechanical drive to the primary drive bay when I used the SSD as the cache. It's very inconvenient to switch the drives in the drive bays just to install a software feature. Missing the drive boot order selection seems to be a backward design.

No Events found!