Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 won't boot windows and recovery

Inspiron 17R SE 7720

When I turn the laptop on, it flashes the Dell logo, then screen goes blank and it won't boot up.

F12 system diagnostics says everything is ok.  "All tests pass"

Pressing F8 does nothing. Recovery dont work 

In the power on / F2 bios, when I load setup defaults, then try to save, I get the following Bios error message:

Formset 98FBBCFB-1392-4FDE-ABB8-C41CC5AD7D6D

Failed to save storage: BOOT_MENU_ITEMS. Status: Access Denied.

link to video of my problem

1.5K Posts

January 31st, 2013 13:00

Hi wilku002,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the links below which would be helpful in resolving this issue with the system:

http://dell.to/14tVLOC

http://dell.to/WieA5l

Kindly perform these steps and let us know the results of the same so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

January 31st, 2013 14:00

links did not helped.

1.5K Posts

February 5th, 2013 03:00

Hi wilku002,

We truly regret the inconvenience that has been caused to you.

Please let me know what all steps have you tried to rectify this issue. Does the issue still persists even after reinstalling windows on the system?

Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

February 9th, 2013 08:00

Sandeep.  Getting the same sympton on my dad's Inspiron 7720 Windows 8.  Will only allow booting to BIOS (F12) settings, DIAGS, etc.  Will not boot from CDROM or connected USB. 

This all occur after dad tried to restore WIN 8 to a prior restore point. 

How do you get this BIOS to boot to CD ROM. 

Dave

272 Posts

February 9th, 2013 18:00

@Davo64 - Welcome to the club, there is a long thread not only on this topic but with other issues about the 7720 Bios and Windows 8.

But here on page 6 of the thread one person (staggerwing17) who was having the same issue as your dad's 7720 resolved how to add a device to the boot manager - read from his post onwards just a few more posts, to see how the community figured out how to add a DVD or USB to the Boot Priority List.

Cheers

1.5K Posts

February 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi Dave,

Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

February 16th, 2013 18:00

Thanks Sandeep P.  I sent a PM with the service tag.  I am able to add a device in the UEFI boot but when I select it, it does nothing.  I've tried a bootable USB and a Trueimage backup cd and a Windows 7 setup CD.  All add into the UEFI boot list but again, when selected it just stays on this screen show below. 

This is really a messed up process.  Laptop is less than 5 months old.   Should we just send back to Dell.  Purchased from BestBuy and they are no help either and said they recommended we send back to Dell.  You'd think Bestbuy would give a replacement and work this with Dell.  Laptop has been down for about a month now. 

Thanks

1.5K Posts

February 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi Davo64,

Thanks for providing us this information. Please don't worry we have replied to you on a private message kindly provide us with the details so we can do the needful for you.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

February 18th, 2013 17:00

My dad called Dell and they tried to correct over the phone.  They are having a technician come out in  few days.  Appears it may be the motherboard and/or hard Drive causing the issue.   Over the phone, the Dell technician couldn't get any farther then dad or I could.  I hope the new hardware fixes the problem.   BTW, my dad had purchased from Best Buy and they were of no help.  

1.5K Posts

February 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi Davo64,

Its great to hear that an engineer has been arranged to replace the faulty part on the system. I am sure the replacement part would resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

I would like to inform you that even if you purchase a system from a reseller as well warranty and service of the product would be done by us only.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 13:00

Hi guys, this is basically not a big issue, not even a motherboard problem, probably just a glitch that happens when running windows 8 updates.

I ran into this issue yesterday and I had no option but to fix it. It was more like I buy a pc for someone and receiving payment wont happen until the laptop is working good.

This was a 2 weeks old laptop brand new laptop that suddenly blacked out one day, I almost freeked out and lost my head and the client was putting massive pressure on me. After hours and hours of net research and support from the dell team. I almost called it quits when everything I tried was all in vain.

My head cracked and cracked as this was a nightmare for me. I am all the way in southern africa and i had no way to solve my problem by warranty as i purchased the 13z from ebay. I had a day... and only a day to solve this problem or else payment was going to be withdrawn. The last thing I wanted to hear was that i needed to replace the MB and that was out of the question, even though this was what I eventually got as an answer from Dell.

Determination is not overrated...Trust me guys. All you have to do is keep moving and moving, until you get it right. my 13z is perfectly ok and does not require a new MB neither do i think yours as well.

I am still drawing up a comprehensive answer to sort out this issue in my wordpad, i will post it, if this issue is still problem. just hit me up with a post

This is basically a Bios problem, nothing more. and i feel this could be caused by windows updates. here are the major steps to follow, this steps are being carried out on an alternative laptop,

1. Download latest Bios update for your laptop (you can follow the steps here)

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/550253/Dell-Inspiron-13z-5323.html?page=105#manual

2. Create a freedos bootable flash drive (you can find the steps on this link below)

http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

I used RUFUS, this is a very handy utility, download it here

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you create the bootable disk, copy and paste the file, e.g the current Bios Update File for a 13z is 5323A18.exe from the dell drivers website. Paste the file in the root of the RUFUS bootable flash drive. e.g  E:/

It does not have to be in any folder.

DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES IN THE RUFUS BOOT DRIVE.

These are the 2 major steps to follow.

3. Plug the flash drive on the usb your malfunctioning laptop and turn on the laptop. Make sure you select to boot from the flash drive that you just plugged in, If not listed, make sure to select Legacy boot option and restart, usb should be there thereafter.

Once it boots from the flash drive, you will face a screen similar to that of a command prompt with C:/ address root

DO NOT WORRY IT IS NOT THE C:/ FOR YOUR FILES IN YOUR HARD DRIVE, JUST A TEMPORAL STORAGE

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR POWER PLUGGED IN, YOU CANNOT UPDATE WITHOUT A POWER SOURCE ATTACHED

Now all you do is

in the black screen, type DIR, this will list down all the files in the flash drive, remeber we had placed the 5323A18.exe in the root of the flash drive, this will be listed down as well

NOW, type 5323A18.exe and press enter

This will start the BIOS update process.

Once this is done, Walaaaaaaaaa

Get into your Bios and make sure that it is updated and also check to see if your boot settings are set correctly. You could simply just restore default settings by pressing F9 and then saving and rebooting your machine.

THIS will solve your problem, no matter which dell machine you are using. If you haa a booting problem.

DONT WASTE YOU MONEY MAKING PHONE CALLS, THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. PERIOD. AND DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING NEW MOTHERBOARDS. BE DETERMINED TO CONQUER THIS PROBLEM YOURSELF. IF I CAN SOLVE HIS PROBLEM IN A DAY, WHY CANT YOU???

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME RUNNING DIAGNOSTICS....

ALL THE BEST

April 20th, 2016 11:00

I have a dell 7720 which booted fine. All the sudden posts and now goes to black screen and stays there. 

This seemed to happen for know reason at all. As of yet I have not been able to fix it. Could you please help me if possible?

Thanks

April 20th, 2016 12:00

I performed these steps with know changes in problem

No Events found!