Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2012 12:00

Inspiron 17R Special Edition Memory

Can the laptop handle 2 8GB dimms for a total of 16 instead of how it is sold with 8. The laptop would be viable but the memory is holding it back.

August 1st, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

Well, Dell does not recommend 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM each installed in this system as that may cause a motherboard failure. However installing 8 GB, 1600 MHZ chips may or may not work.

Let me know in case there are any other concerns. Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

Dell Social Media Responder

July 29th, 2012 12:00

Hi adonnaru,

Welcome to the community.

Inspiron™ 7720/17R (SE) supports a maximum of 8 GB system memory. There are 2 slots on the motherboard where you can install the memory chips and each slot can have a Maximum of 4 GB each.

Inspiron™ 7720/17R (SE) has 2 SODIMM memory slots which support:

• DDR3 DIMM at 1333 MHz with Sandy Bridge Processors

• DDR3 DIMM at 1600 MHz with Ivy Bridge Processors

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21dell

7 Posts

July 29th, 2012 14:00

I here you but 8GB DDR3 DIMM at 1600 MHZ are available but the motherboard won't support them or is there some other restriction.

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 05:00

Thanks for the reply. In this day with more power users and demanding apps such as video processing Dell should have made this laptop at a minimum of 16GB since the ivy bridge I7 can support 32. Oh well I guess I'll buy a Toshiba.

August 4th, 2012 14:00

Hi adonnaru,

Thank you for your reply. Well, Inspiron computers fall under "Every Day Computing" category. In case you are looking for high end configuration computer, I would suggest you to check Dell's XPS or Alienware systems.

You may have a look at the following link-

www.dell.com/.../pd

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

8 Posts

August 9th, 2012 01:00

Dell_Chiranjeev_S, please accept my friend request. I need help regarding Dell Stage. I want to download it. It's not installed in my system.

69 Posts

August 9th, 2012 05:00

I also was looking at this model laptop..... but didnt purchase it because of its memory limitations.  Probably a simple bios revision would  remedy this problem and enable it to address and support 16gb because the other components would definetly support additional memory  ie.....O.S.  windows 7 pro 64 bit 32gb, I-7 processor  32gb, that only leaves the motherboard.....for compatapatability,addressabilityand supportability of additional memory.  I quess the real question is the motherboard ability to support and address additional memory  on this model only limited by bios ?

Mac

69 Posts

August 13th, 2012 07:00

Has anyone sucessfully upgraded the memory to 16 gb on a inspiron 7720/17R SE yet?   on other post I see that someone with a  15R SE /7520 was sucessfully able to do so using corsair ddr3-1600mhz (cmsx16gx3m2a 1600c10)  Would like to verify with someone that has already sucessfully  completed this memory upgrade 16gb on the inspiron 17R SE/ 7720  prior to purchasing this model    also has anyone found a 9 cell compatable battery  for the 17R SE

thanks

Mac

120 Posts

August 15th, 2012 11:00

I bought the 15R SE/7520 with 8GB (2x4GB) of memory installed. I upgraded it to 16GB (2x8GB). Both Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and SiSoftware Sandra (a leading benchmark tool) reported the system memory as 16GB. In fact SiSoftware Sandra recommended a maximum installable memory of 32GB.

However, the BIOS reported the total memory as 6394MB. The numeral 1 is missing. It should read 16394MB.

Dell should provide a BIOS update to allow the installation of memory in excess of 8GB.

120 Posts

August 15th, 2012 11:00

To: Dell_Chiranjeev_S

To state categorically that installing 2 sticks of 8GB RAM in the system concerned may lead to a motherboard failure is really absurd and not based on facts.

The only time that memory modules cause a motherboard to fail is when the former are defective or installed wrongly in the memory slots such as reverse/backwards installation.

Other causes that can damage your motherboard are bad flash of the screen, overheat or temperature problem, RAM chip failure and CPU chip failure. Also there are some causes like static charge build up, leaky CMOS battery, magnetic field nearby power supply, dust, grounding and power supply failure. All these can cause your motherboard failure. So you should keep your PC from these hazards preventing motherboard failure.

1. Heat. Excessive heat can cause motherboard failure which is usually caused by poor ventilation or a fan which is failing to cool. Excessive heat can cause the motherboard to warp, which can make components on the board fail. It can also loosen solder points on the board, causing components to lose contact or short, causing mainboard failure.

2. Electrical problem such as a short or a static discharge. Computer components are very sensitive to over-voltage or under-voltage problems. They are also very sensitive to static electricity. Either of these issues can cause an electrical problem with the motherboard that may lead to failure.

In many cases, a mainboard failure is actually the result of some type of physical damage. For example, the laptop DC-in jack being damaged from stress being put on the connection, this is sometimes repairable by simply replacing the jack, but can also damage a board beyond repair. Other components or connections on the motherboard can be damaged from improper disassembly/reassembly during repairs.

Click the following URL for more details: www.techyv.com/.../causes-motherboard-failure

7 Posts

August 15th, 2012 12:00

Hi all. I started this post and am very grateful for the responses. Although it appears 16gb will work, not worth the effort because I can envision Dell refusing warranty support if 16gb was installed. The 17" XPS is obsolete and Alienware is nowhere worth the cost. Dell needs to do their homework and listen to us. For me Toshiba is the way when they can catch up on stock of the Qosmio 17.3 3D machine.

120 Posts

August 15th, 2012 14:00

To: adonnaru

Look. Before Dell's support technician comes to fix your laptop PC, you just have to reinstall the 8GB memory modules. Simple as that!

120 Posts

October 5th, 2012 21:00

I bought the 15R SE/7520 with 8GB (2x4GB) of memory installed. I upgraded it to 16GB (2x8GB). Both Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and SiSoftware Sandra (a leading benchmark tool) reported the system memory as 16GB. In fact SiSoftware Sandra recommended a maximum installable memory of 32GB.

However, the BIOS reported the total memory as 6394MB. The numeral 1 is missing. It should read 16394MB.

Dell should provide a BIOS update to allow the installation of memory in excess of 8GB.

With reference to my earlier post of August 16, 2012 (see quote above), I am pleased to update you guys that version A06 now reports my 16GB of RAM correctly in the BIOS.
Moreover version A06 supports UEFI Boot and Secure Boot, the latter being a requirement for Windows 8 installation by OEM vendors.
However, please note that A06 is NOT yet available on Dell's website at the time of this writing.

1 Message

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi Innogen,

I have a 17R SE/7720 with 6gb, and I want to update it to 16gb.

I´m not sure about witch memory I have to buy.. I check in amazon and I found this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMXS16GX3M2A1600C10-Vengeance-Performance-So-Dimm/dp/B0076W9Q5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3E2DPJSN3NE32&coliid=IOXZPH8FOSSJM

Those one will work? also I need to do anything more than install it to make it work?

Thank you for your time!

120 Posts

October 17th, 2012 16:00

Hi Innogen,

I have a 17R SE/7720 with 6gb, and I want to update it to 16gb.

I´m not sure about witch memory I have to buy.. I check in amazon and I found this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMXS16GX3M2A1600C10-Vengeance-Performance-So-Dimm/dp/B0076W9Q5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3E2DPJSN3NE32&coliid=IOXZPH8FOSSJM

Those one will work? also I need to do anything more than install it to make it work?

Thank you for your time!

If you are living in the USA, then by all means buy Corsair. If you're not, then you might have problems with after-sales support.

Kingston is legendary for its after-sales support, anywhere in the world. (NOTE: I don't work for Kingston or am I affiliated to it in any way).

You might want to look at Kingston's ValuRAM 16GB (2 X 8GB) SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz here:

http://www.amazon.com/ValueRAM-PC3-12800-Notebook-KVR16S11K2-16/dp/B008TYIEVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350514516&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+valueram+16gb+sodimm+ddr3+1600mhz

Question: What is your latest BIOS version?

No Events found!