Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2012 10:00

Inspiron 17R white screen

Yesterday I called Dell support to get assistance with a white screen problem. The girl told me she did not have time to deal with the issue yesterday but would phone me today to handle it. I told her I could call back but she insisted she would phone me today. Dell are now closed here in France and, true to form, she did NOT call me.

So I'm on the forum to see if I can get any pointers as to what the cause may be. Basically, when starting up all goes well and suddenly the screen goes completely white. Leave it for about 30 mins and it returns to normal. Leave it for an hour or more and it goes white again. Sometimes, closing the lid and reopening it cures the problem. Other times that does nothing.

It also goes white if one moves the machine. For example, if I put it on my lap more often than not it will go white.

I can't see that this could be Windows related. It seems to be a hardware fault but I'm at a loss as to what could cause it. Any ideas please?

June 12th, 2012 15:00

Hi 7Leagueboot,

Welcome to the community.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to the issue.

From your description of the issue, it seems that the issue is being caused due to a faulty LCD or LCD cable. If possible, try connecting an external monitor to the system and see if you face the same issue on external display as well. If external monitor does not show a white screen, then the issue is definitely due to the LCD. You may also try running the LCD diagnostics. The steps for the same are listed on the link below:

support.dell.com/.../document

Kindly revert with the findings. Glad to help.

DELL-Gaurav Sh

Social Outreach Professional

You may reach us at: en.community.dell.com

June 12th, 2012 15:00

Hi 7 Leagueboot,

Welcome to the Dell community forum, we really apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.  The problem seems to be with the display cable so reseating the display cable should fix the problem.

So please find step by step instructions from the below link on how to reseat the display cable.

support.dell.com/.../display.htm 

Kindly revert back for any further clarifications.

Thank you

Dell-Narasimha B

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community Professional

501 Posts

June 13th, 2012 03:00

I ran the diagnostic test and the result was all positive. The problem is not coming from the screen itself. I tend to agree it is likely to be the cable but I fear opening this machine myself and I find it more than disconcerting that I pay for 3 years on-site next day service warranty only to be told that I have to effect my own repairs.

Can you provide a link to download this tear-down manual in PDF format please. I tried to find one on the site but couldn't. It's a bit tricky having the manual online if I have to strip the computer down.

501 Posts

June 14th, 2012 03:00

The Inspiron I have is a 1764.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2012 05:00

If the system is under warranty, have Dell repair it - you should not disassemble it yourself.

501 Posts

June 14th, 2012 09:00

Yeah, that's what I thought and as it is under warranty I phoned them again and got a different tech this time. He instantly said "this is not something you would be able to do yourself, I'm going to launch an on-site service call to replace the cable or screen."

June 14th, 2012 14:00

Hi 7Leagueboot,

I understand that a tech is being sent out to fix the issue for you.

I am glad that the issue being taken care of. In case you have any questions for me, please feel free to reply to this post. I will be glad to assist you.

Glad to help.

DELL-Gaurav Sh

You may reach us at: en.community.dell.com

501 Posts

June 16th, 2012 02:00

Hello Gaurav,

Sorry to come back again however; the Dell support tech, Georges Florice Yovo, that promised me an on-site repair also told me that one of their on-site technicians would phone me to fix an appointment and that as my service contract included weekends I would likely be visited this Saturday.

I have not received any calls to fix an appointment. After mailing Georges Florice Yovo to appraise him of this fact I have not even had the courtesy of a reply.

Georges Florice Yovo sent me a quote to extend my next day on-site guarantee for another 3 years. What is the point when Dell won't honor the terms of the guarantee they sell you?

June 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi 7Leagueboot,

Apologies for responding so late.

Please let me know in case you are still facing the issue.

In case the issue has still not been addressed, I would request you to accept my friend request. Then you need to click on your username on the Dell community forum’s website and on the Friends Tab, start a conversation. This is a private messaging service where in you can share the dell system account details.

Please provide me with the Service Tag of the system on the private message. I will see what best can be done and get this issue resolved.

Glad to help.

DELL-Gaurav_Z_Sharma

You may reach us at:

Twitter - @dellcares

FAcebook - www.facebook.com/dell

501 Posts

June 21st, 2012 01:00

Message sent via Friends tab.

501 Posts

June 21st, 2012 04:00

Despite the on-site technician's promise to call me this morning to fix an appointment, he did not keep his promise. Now I understand I cannot hold Dell responsible for the bad service of the companies they outsource their service calls to however; this particular company has always behaved in this way. The next day on-site service warranty is basically worthless because the company executing it generally will only come within 1 to 2 weeks. This is because they have only 1 technician for an area the size of Arizona. It's simply a mission impossible.

So where does that leave me as a Dell customer waiting for a service call that is not going to happen?

501 Posts

June 21st, 2012 09:00

Update: There's been some confusion.

My wife came home at lunch time and told me the Dell technician had phoned her on her cell. He was supposed to have called me at my office just as he did last Monday. I don't know why he chose to call her instead. Anyway, he turned up at 17:20 this afternoon and replaced the screen. Now we have to see if that solves the issue. I think it will however he felt doubtful and said that in his opinion it is the motherboard that needs changing. We should know within 24 to 48 hours...

June 22nd, 2012 13:00

Hi 7Leagueboot,

Thank you for replying.

I understand that the LCD has been replaced. However, as the issue was intermittent, I would suggest that you keep the system under observation and revert in case the issue reoccurs.

I sure hope that the issue is resolved and you do not have to face any further inconvenience. Just in case the issue is not resolved, I will be glad to assist you further.

Glad to help.

DELL-Gaurav_Z_Sharma

You may reach us at: Twitter - @dellcares

Facebook - www.facebook.com/dell

DELL-Gaurav Sh

22 Jun 2012 2:11 PM

No Events found!