Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2014 19:00

Inspiron 3520 Screen Constantly Scrambles

I have two Inspiron 3520s and they both recently started having issues with the screen constantly scrambling. It happens every few minutes and lasts about 20 seconds. This is happening on both of my laptops, which I purchased at the same time. The laptops are only about 16 months old and are hardly used. Of course they are now out of warranty. Another poster said they took it to Bestbuy and they suggested this is due to the poor quality and materials of the laptop. It seems likely since this is happening on both of my laptops. I attached a pic also. Anyone have any ideas on a fix?

Thanks

1 Message

April 18th, 2014 05:00

I purchased my 3520 about the same time and experiencing the same problem. About 6 months ago, just before warranty expired, I had the screen replaced. So, that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'd appreciate any insights too. Thanks.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 11:00

did you update to windows 8.1?  people in other threads are saying that you need to roll back the driver to the windows 8 version and that should fix the problem.  you can download the older driver from the dell support webpage for your system.

1 Message

May 7th, 2014 03:00

i have exactly the same problem on my 3520 and i think is the video chipset...

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hi MJ10, I know this is an old forum question, but I too have 2 of these laptops with the same issue with the scrambling. I was curious if you were able to solve it?

My laptop also has a touchpad issue (often) where the cursor moves very little. Very frustrating. No driver seems to fix it. However, adding a mouse does.

Lastly, Windows crashes. Does not create any mini dump info. even though it's setup to.  When it reboots it does not find a hard drive.

Curious if anyone else has had these issues.

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 16:00

I have not been able to resolve the issue. I have since bought a mac. However, i still use it occasionally for when i need to use office. Sometimes i need to use office due to formatting issues and I cant swap out my office for windows license for office for mac. The last time i used it, the scrambling seemed to correlate with when I used the touchpad. Could be a coincidence though. Im holding out for the free win 10 upgrade. I doubt it will fix the issue but im hoping. It seems like dell abandoned support for this laptop, maybe it didnt sell well. I doubt i will ever buy dell again. Its too bad. I thought it was a good price, but now that its a paper weight, i realize i overpaid.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 18:00

See my post above.  Rolling back the display driver to the pre-win 8.1 version resolved the display problem for me.

1 Message

January 6th, 2016 20:00

I have also had the same issue. I worked through Dell on the original computer and paid them to repair the unit in Texas. When I got it back it had the same issue. I finally had an agreement with Dell where they replaced the original computer with a rebuilt unit. I now have the same issue with the rebuilt computer.

I have tried using an external monitor and do not have this problems on either screens. I have though about installing another LCD screen but question if the screen is root cause.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

b2011

No Events found!