Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2015 16:00

Inspiron 3520 laptop issues - beeping

Have Inspiron 3520 with W8 - daughter has infected it via Minecraft update.  Original issue was dark screen and beeping, 8 at a time.  Put on a external monitor and am going through the long process of digging out the bugs with anti-virus and malware removal programs.

Question is this - how can I stop the infernal beeping?  It starts up if I insert the power cord or disconnect/connect the external monitor.  Is there any way to silence it?

Thanks in advance!!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 19th, 2015 19:00

Hi w2dsx,

8 Beeps issue is an LCD screen which is a hardware issue. You can update the BIOS on the system to check if it fixes the issue. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

23 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 18:00

Hi Ravi, and thanks for getting back to me on this.  I did as instructed, and had the same problem after it flashed the BIOS.  Same as before - only works with a external monitor, speakers were muted (but was able to unmute).  When I had loaded the link that you provided, I tried using the Dell hardware assistant that is part of that webpage several times.  Each time it was halfway through the process but stopped and gave me a message saying the internet connection was interrupted despite having a clear signal and then using a network cable.

Some other things I have tried were using a Windows system restore point well earlier than my daughter said she had the virus (Minecraft update, it had bundled software that was loaded with malware, such as several toolbars and viruses such as Angry Birds and Winning) but still have the problem.

One thing I was considering was possibly rolling back the driver on the monitor to see if that worked, but I wanted to see what your opinion was first - thanks in advance!!

Best regards...

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi w2dsx,

The LCD screen seems to be faulty you will need to replace it.

23 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 09:00

A virus can wreck an LCD screen? 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 27th, 2015 09:00

Hi w2dsx,

A virus attack will be an software issue. It will not make any hardware faulty on the system.

23 Posts

January 28th, 2015 04:00

That's what I thought.  I'm sure the monitor is fine, I'm just trying to find how to correct the settings to make it work properly.  I found in the event logs that several settings were changed on the date of the infection, but I can not read xml.  If I were to post to post them here, could you possible direct me to the correct setting?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2015 07:00

Hi w2dsx,

The System board gives out 8 Beeps from the system when the LCD screen is not detected or faulty by the system board.

23 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 08:00

Yes, thank you.  Since this coincided with a malware infection, I'm certain the monitor is fine.  I have been able to cleanse the computer of the malware infection with the help of folks at bleepingcomputer.com but all I need to do is to find the software setting to turn the monitor on, or disable whatever change the malware did.

I do have the event logs from the monitor driver window of the date of occurrence and can post them if you know how to do this.  I see several entries where the monitor is set to 0x0, but I don't know xml enough to change it back.  Are you able to assist?

Thanks in advance!

108 Posts

February 4th, 2015 08:00

If you get no BIOS screen its 99.9% hardware related as you haven't even got to the OS at this point, if you can get to the BIOS creen but it then lose it on the way to the OS loading its software, simple fault finding.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 4th, 2015 08:00

Hi w2dsx,

It should be mere coincidence that there was virus infection and also hardware issue. As informed earlier System board gives out 8 Beeps from the system when the LCD screen is not detected or faulty by the system board.

23 Posts

February 4th, 2015 16:00

I agree!  The only problem is I'm unfamiliar with the proper fault finding process, being a man with a little knowledge.  I"m looking at the event logs on the date of occurrence and I know it's staring me in the face, I just don't know xml langauge...  yet!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 9th, 2015 07:00

Hi w2dsx,

As informed earlier the 8 beeps indicate LCD screen failure as the system board is not able to detect the LCD screen. I would suggest you to remove and reseat the LCD screen on the system with a help of technician using the manual. In the link below punch in the system service tag or express service code and you can access the user manual for removing and reseating of LCD screen.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

No Events found!