Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2015 16:00

Inspiron 3537 no audio recording

I have a Inspiron 3537-4864 laptop. The in-built microphone isn't working at all.

The device is shown green in the audio settings, its default device also. I disabled and uninstalled both mic and webcam devices and drivers. Its not muted either. I tried with skype, windows 8.1 audio recording and dell webcam central. Not recording anything. The drivers are up-to-date (Audio_Driver_5F22P_WN_6.0.1.7023_A00).

Thanks the help in advance.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 10:00

Hi Kiof,

Thanks for posting!

Here is some information you may find useful, and might resolve your issue.

Regards,
Robert

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 25th, 2015 07:00

Hello. There is not an easy or reliable way to test the mic. You can test the audio driver by switching from the Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (Control Panel>Device Manager).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio Device" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

This tests the driver because if you have the exact same symptoms with both drivers, there is a very small probability that both of them are faulty in the same way.

Make sure that Microphone is selected as the default recording device. If two of them, one is the external jack mic which usually cannot work with the native driver.

Right click on the internal mic and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab. Uncheck the Exclusive Mode boxes.

Try making a test recording using Windows Sound Recorder (not a voip application). If no luck then there is a good chance there is hardware failure.Use a strong light to examine the mic to try and see if it has been displaced or something is covering it. Sometimes it helps to open the bezel and reseat the webcam's connection.

The gold standard for determining if it is a hardware problem is to perform a system recovery (reset the laptop back to the factory configuration). When doing that does not solve a problem that did not exist when the laptop was new then it has had a hardware failure since then.

No Events found!