Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

JN

July 9th, 2006 20:00

Inspiron 4000 Video Driver Issue

I recieved an Inspiron 4000 notebook from a family friend who said she couldn't get it to work, so I plugged it in and it booted fine into ME (hehe) so I formatted the drive and installed XP Professional. I ran into a conflict however, with the video drivers it appears. The video chipset is an ATI Mobility Rage 128 (M3 line) 2x AGP. When you start Windows XP, it will get to the point of the XP boot screen, then go black (off) then come back on in black for about 30 seconds, then it will BSOD which lasts just about a second before restarting the system. I took a picture of the BSOD so I could read the info, and the only thing I got out of it was a driver error with the driver trying to load itself repeatedly or something, the driver was a dll file entitled atidvai.dll or ati2dvai.dll. Both of these files are part of the ATI M3 driverset. If I boot into safe mode, I can get into windows because XP will use a generic video driver instead of the ATI one, the same holds true for VGA mode (hit F8 at BIOS POST to get XP extended boot options, select VGA mode). In safe mode I deleted the atidvai file from the /windows/system32 directory and replaced it with a version I downloaded off the internet. Same problem on boot. I repeated the process but this time instead of deleting the atidvai file I reinstalled the video drivers I got off of Dell's site for the 4000 series. Same problem. So I booted into safe mode again and disabled the ATI chip as my video driver in Device Manager, booted XP up using the generic driver and now it works, kinda. Now I can use XP fine and the computer works, but because it is just a generic driver it doesnt have any compatiblity for gaming (half life and CS, other directX7 games) and the refresh rate when scrolling down is atrocious, amongst other problems. I need to know if anyone has any idea about how to reinstall the video drivers and not have this issue.

Thanks a million!

-Justin
No Responses!
No Events found!