Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 500 series hibernating

I have had this laptop less than a year and it continues to experience problems. It is slow, laggy, and now it has taken to going into hibernation even though it is plugged in and set to never go to sleep if plugged in. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I am running Windows 10 that was pre installed.

This is my second and last Dell machine. My 1st machine is over 10 years old, running windows xp and still runs like a charm. This one I have had multiple issues and because the warranty does not cover these issues I can no longer recommend Dell as a stable product.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 11th, 2017 12:00

Please use the touch screen or connect a external usb (or wireless )mouse to do these troubleshooting steps:

1. Power off system, remove all peripherals, AC adapter, and then wait for about 15 minutes. Replace adapter and then power on system. Hopefully touchpad is working again.

If touchpad still isn't working:

2. Installing (touchpad) drivers through Windows Update - Type Setting onto  search box, click Update And Security, and select "Check for Updates". Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 5th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto [Cortana] search box and look for System Model.

In the meantime, check to see if hibernation isn't selected in Choose What The Power Buttons do, Close The Lid and Close The Display in the Power Options settings .

4 Posts

August 5th, 2017 12:00

Hello, the model is Inspiron 5767. I checked the power options and everything is set to never when plugged in.

Thank you for any assistance as I am struggling with this laptop.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 6th, 2017 07:00

Please run diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Run Memory as well. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 6th, 2017 08:00

If there is no error code, I suspect the video drivers are corrupt, therefore I suggest updating them. First update the System Setup( BIOS) from your Dell Product Support page  Please click on the link below to safety install latest BIOS version.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ...

After installing latest BIOS version, I suggest you run the Guide Me option from your Dell Product Support page. The tool will detect drivers updates (Chipset & Video) for your system. Please follow instructions to run Guide Me option in the link below:

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

4 Posts

August 11th, 2017 04:00

There were some drivers that needed updating which was a bit of a surprise since the laptop is only 8 months old. However, after doing that the track pad stopped working. I think this laptop is a "lemon". No more Dell laptops in my future. I will start looking for a better brand and donate this to a school or something like that.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,

Please contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below:

Contact Information | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you're still experiencing problems on the system, I suggest .....

Refresh your copy of Windows 10 without losing your data

Or.....

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 - support.microsoft.com

4 Posts

August 19th, 2017 09:00

Thank you. Now everything is working. One last question; this laptop is very slow and has been since day 1. Is that normal or is there something I can do to see why it is so slow to load applications, to open ect.

No Events found!