Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

February 15th, 2006 19:00

Inspiron 5000 Bottom PCMCIA SLOT

The other day I tried to install a linksys pcmcia wireless card and also a soundblaster audigy zs card only to find out that my bottom pcmcia slot doesn't seem to work. Both the soundblaster and linksys cards work on the top slot but not the bottom one.

If I put a card in the slot, the card powers up but under the device manager windows reports that it cannot start the card.

I checked to make sure that I had not bent any pins on the slot as well and they all seem to be fine.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas before I go looking for a new motherboard for it.

Thanks,

Tyghe

Inspiron 5000
192Mb Ram
40Gb HDD
Windows XP Pro

1.4K Posts

February 16th, 2006 01:00

PC Card SlotPCI controllerTexas Instruments PCI 1225 CardBus controllerPC Card connectorstwo (supports two Type I cards, two Type II cards, or one Type III card)Cards supported3.3 V and 5 V

I'm guessing those are type III cards, hence only the top slot works.  The I8200s work that way, too.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2006 05:00

Ok, so thank you for your response. In my trying to figure out for sure if the type II and type III card thing was the problem I plugged in a older belkin card I had around into the port that wasn't working. I installed the card and it worked fine. So I put in the linksys to the bottom port and low and behold it now works??? I put in the Soundblaster into the top slot with the linksys still plugged in and they both work now?

I have no idea why they both work now, but they do.

Thank you for the info on the card types and my laptop, and for the help in figuring this out.

Tyghe
No Events found!