Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 5000 series DC port problem

I bought an Inspiron 5000 series laptop last October and from the beginning we noticed the power adapter fit rather loosely when plugged into the DC power port on the laptop itself. Gradually this got even looser and within the last couple of months it won’t stay plugged in unless the plug is physically supported by something or the laptop is just not touched at all.

When I purchased the laptop I also bought 2 years of on-site service because my wife uses the laptop to run her small business.

I just got off the phone with technical support and initially all they would do is transfer me to the out-of-warranty service group claiming that this was a wear & tear issue and not something that would fall under warranty. After talking with a supervisor, he was unwilling to dispatch a serviceman but would allow me to return the laptop to a depot for further investigation. However, the impression I got from him is that the depot would likely just call this a wear & tear issue and charge me for the repair anyway.

I am a bit frustrated because this seems to be a pretty clear case of a bad DC port and I can’t see why my onsite service shouldn’t cover this.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how I can proceed with this?

Thanks! 

2K Posts

March 12th, 2017 11:00

Hi DENISMOORHEAD,

Kindly click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name. I shall review the case records and based on your system warranty and your region, I shall advise further course of action.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

1 Message

March 18th, 2017 17:00

I have the same problem - recently my new laptop Inspiron 5559 (bought it 3 month ago) told me that I have a problem with power adapter identification. I tried another power from Dell - the same alert. I was searching about that problem and I found out that this problem Dell have been having for years. But most interesting that when I asked Dell for reparation they told me that I have to pay 100$ for repair service?! Why another company, like Asus or MSI can just do it without make me to extra pay? Very disappointed with Dell service.

March 19th, 2017 21:00

Rishi was able to get everything sorted out for me and the DC port was replaced on my Inspiron under warranty.

No Events found!