Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 00:00

Inspiron 5010 keeps freezing

My Inspiron 5010  keeps freezing recently.

It can freeze at any time, when I surfing the net, at the windows login page, even freeze at "starting windows" .

The screen freeze and the light for CPU does not turn on any more. It shows no respond even waiting for a few minutes.

I have to press and hold the power button to turn off the laptop.

Sometimes when I turn on the laptop, only light for power is on and the screen shows nothing,

I try few more times, It becomes normal again (but still have the chance to freeze)

Anyone can help me? Thanks!

Intel® CoreTM i5 460M (2.8GHz/3MB cache)

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

320GB hard drive (5400RPM)

Dell Wireless DW1501, 802.11 g/n 1x1 Half Mini Card

Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

539 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 04:00

If the capslock / nummlock or scrolllock light does not go on/off when pressed the CPU is in a deadlock.

If not the CPU is still working but locked into some sort of software loop - usually the cause is software.

Assuming the CPU is in a deadlock - first thing is to test RAM memory by reseating the modules or swapping them.
Best is to take 1 one out (if possible) or swap positions by putting it in either slot  A or B

If the problem stays away it's a faulty RAM memory module.

Otherwise test RAM memory using a memory tester, such as memtest or the one available using a free OS.

3 Posts

December 24th, 2010 00:00

My laptop doesn't have capslock / nummlock or scrolllock light so I cannot decide whether the CPU is in a deadlock or not.

It pass the RAM memory test.

Is there any thing more I can do?

6 Posts

December 24th, 2010 02:00

I recommend that if the purchase is still within the 21 days get rid of your Dell Laptop. I have basically the same model with a different problem. I have gone approx. a  dozen HDD's and 5 replacement computers. The problem is STILL NOT FIXED. A Dell Tech is supposely coming out later today to replace the HDD again. I seriously doubt the problem will be fixed. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER DELL PRODUCT because of this unsolved problem.   

No Events found!