Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 9th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 5547 laptop pops open at the right side joint while closing

I bought this laptop (Inspiron 15 5547 model) exactly 3 months back. For the last few days I was hearing a click sound whenever I open the laptop. And today also I heard the click sound but while closing the laptop I found the right corner edge is popped open.

And then I found one half of the screw lying under the laptop. And the other half probably inside in its place.

I contacted Dell Support for this issue and explained them what happened. They told me that this is a damage happened on the laptop and I am not covered by accidental damage coverage. So I have to pay for this one to be fixed.

I explained them that I’m using this laptop as everyone else does like opening a laptop to work on it and closing it when am done with my work. But no use, I was told this is beyond warranty I have to pay $160 and wait at least 12 working days to get it fixed.

I don’t understand, opening and closing is one of the basic functionalities of any laptop. Doing so has broken a screw which is beyond my control and that led to weird opening at the bottom. And that too within 3 months.

Can someone please suggest me what are my options? I don’t know how I’m responsible this.

Thanks.

6 Posts

October 11th, 2015 23:00

i Sent this thread to support center. lets see what do they say. I will keep posted in case of any new events...

Can we also open some Facebook page or post on dell face book page so as they take care of this?

6 Posts

October 14th, 2015 13:00

I have given them all details on their Facebook page including this thread but no response...seems they are just ignoring customers like us....I guess no more product from Dell any more....they logged my case but since then receiving status that they are checking with concern department...funny, Such a big company not able to resolve such a small issue....I guess it does not matter them much,

October 14th, 2015 19:00

I doubt you can these posts are monitored by dell and I think they will remove personal information. You can give it a shot by posting your email or phone one I see that I will ping you, how about that.

Manish 

6 Posts

October 14th, 2015 19:00

How do I send you (Manish) personal message to get details? Thanks

14 Posts

October 15th, 2015 01:00

Can you send as the link where we can make our complain ???

Thanks

October 15th, 2015 04:00

I had the link when I posted the update yesterday but dell changed it to XXX.org. I will try to put it over here and see if you could get it. This service is only available in US and Canada if you are outside of these 2 then you might be out of luck.

Manish

14 Posts

October 16th, 2015 00:00

I am out of luck! Because I am from Greece! But thanks for your response!

2 Posts

November 5th, 2015 03:00

Dude, exactly same thing is happening with me . The customer care is unable to help. They kept me transferring from one executive to another for 38 *** minutes.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2015 18:00

Exactly same issue, this is a design fault or faulty part part for sure. Bought a high spec laptop and now this is just out of warranty so Dell will just ask for more money, point is if this is design issue it will keep happening again and again, pathetic. Not going to buy another Dell.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2015 10:00

I am having the same issue, right side also! Had the laptop for 8 months, same model! So frustrating they want to charge $160 to fix it, not covered under warranty. If it isn't a defect why are so many having the same issue with the right hinge! 

November 14th, 2015 12:00

If you are in US contact better business bureau file a complaint with them. I did the same thing and dell fixed it for me free of cost.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2015 18:00

I have had the same problem.  Right hand hinge.  If this doesn't warrant a recall, then I wonder what would.

1 Message

November 19th, 2015 14:00

I am also facing exact same issue...I just ran out of warranty which makes it even worse...I am considering repairing it in a local service centre...any better suggestions?

November 19th, 2015 16:00

Look at the back of the laptop, with the lid open. Slowly lower the top lid and watch where the hinge separates, then keep the lid at that position. Apply a small bead of Gorilla Glue along the opened seams. Then raise the lid until the seams are squeezed tight. Leave in that position and let dry. I finally did this two months ago and it still works like acharm. I am still careful opening and closing the screen, but it is still working with no problems. I AM DONE WITH DELL AND THEIR CHEAP CRAFTSMANSHIP!!!!

November 24th, 2015 13:00

please reply me with that site's name on <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

or text on <ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!