Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2017 05:00

Inspiron 5559 Webcam Won't Focus

Does anyone know how to force the integrated webcam on an Inspiron 5559 to focus in Windows 10?

It will focus on a hand if placed about 25-50mm (1-2in) from the webcam lens on the lid but won't focus on anything further away resulting in a blurred fuzzy out of focus image. I've tried this in both bright daylight and low artificial light so nothing to do with the level of the light.

Any help in getting the webcam to focus will be appreciated. Its the first time I've tried to use it since buying this laptop and I can't find any settings that you can change. Or is it just a very poor quality webcam component?

144 Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

Run the Dell Update app or dowload an copy form the Dell support site

Check  in the Devmngr if the Intel RealSense Driver is installed,.

See Intel Tips for Using the Intel® RealSense™ Camera

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 14:00

:emotion-2:

Please click on the link below, hopefully it will be a help to you:

Camera app and webcams help - Microsoft Windows Help

April 30th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for the link but unfortunately I've done everything including reloading the drivers and searching for alternative drivers but to no avail.

Basically I can't find any settings to alter the focus in Windows 10 nor any information on how to alter in on the integrated webcam.

Has anyone else any advice they can give for this problem?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 16:00

Hopefully one of the Dell reps or someone else can charm in and offer a solution to you. Lastly, I like to suggest you post the same question in the Microsoft Community Forum and see if they can help as well.

Microsoft Community forum

144 Posts

May 1st, 2017 05:00

Thanks for the link but unfortunately I've done everything including reloading the drivers and searching for alternative drivers but to no avail.

The system is equipped with an Intel RealSense Camera F200.
Verify in Device Manager, that the correct driver is installed. See here

The driver is available on the Dell support site, see here, or else at Intel, see here

Basically I can't find any settings to alter the focus in Windows 10 nor any information on how to alter in on the integrated webcam.

Has anyone else any advice they can give for this problem?

This will be done by any Camera app, If the Intel RealSense driver is correctly installed,

May 1st, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the information but it appears that may not be the webcam fitted to this laptop.

This is due to when I'd downloaded and attempted to install the Intel software and driver the installation failed with a message that it had failed to detect a RealSense F200 camera.

In Device Manager under Imaging devices the webcam is listed as Integrated Webcam. This is obviously a generic Microsoft driver and if its attempted to update the driver if reports that it is the most up to date driver.

AS I've stated before anything more than 150mm (6inch) away is out of focus producing a fuzzy image. To have a sharply focused face it needs to be able to focus at about 750mm (29.5inch) away. If a fixed focus then it may be the actual webcam hardware that has a manufacturing or design fault.

May 1st, 2017 10:00

The vendor of the webcam that's fitted to the laptop is Microdia.

So its definitely not the Intel RealSense one.

144 Posts

May 1st, 2017 13:00

Thank you for the feedback.

I apparently wrongly concluded that it was an Intel camera.

If you are looking for drivers on the dell site through your service tag, is there no camera driver / software available?

May 1st, 2017 13:00

There isn't any webcam drivers or software whatsoever on the Dell site for the Inspiron 5559. It seems as if they only use the generic Microsoft drivers for Windows 10.

No Events found!