Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 26th, 2008 08:00

Inspiron 6000 Factory Restore

First sorry if I am posting in the wrong section. I restored my 6000 by using the XP Pro SP2 restore disk and the driver/utilities disk. I thought the drivers and utilities would give me the programs that that came on it but it didnt. After I did the restore using the restore cds everything worked fine I just wanted my other programs back. I did not delete any other partitions just format C. I can see the other to partitions are still there. Later after restoring I found that I should have done ctrl F11 to do the restore. When I do ctrl F11 during the splash screen nothing happens it just boots to the next screen. The ctrl key works with other keys. Everything still works fine, I just want all the original programs back on that came on the 6000. Any idea how to fix it.

6.4K Posts

December 26th, 2008 08:00

You should have received a Dell Applications CD, along with CDs for any software you ordered with the computer, in addition to the Dell OS Reinstallation CD and the Dell Resource CD.  You should be able to contact Tech Support and ask for these.  If you live in the US, you can use this form to request replacement CDs:  Dell Replacement Disks.

So far as the back-up partition, if you have used the reinstallation CD you have disabled the special Dell MBR that allows you to bring it up.  Reactivating it is non-trivial, but if you would like to try, see this page by Dan Goodell:  Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition.

December 26th, 2008 10:00

I have my documentation when I bought my 6000 and it only included the OS CD and the drivers and utilities CD and not an application CD. It is out of warranty since October 2008 can I still get a replacement? I will try the link you gave me also.

6.4K Posts

December 26th, 2008 11:00

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will receive the disks you want, but there is no harm asking.  If the CDs are still available, you will likely get them whether you are in warranty or not.  You stand a good chance of getting a CD with the Dell applications on it, but if you ordered Microsoft Office, you may not be able to get those disks anymore.

December 26th, 2008 12:00

I have the MS office cd I just want the other stuff. I will give it a try and I will let you know about the restore. Thanks.

122 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 23:00

In case this is of any use, here is a list of the 7 CDs that shipped with my i6000. Omit the 0 from the DP/N and you should find it listed on your Original System Configuration part list.

1) DP/N 0H8412 Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2

2) DP/N 0T5464 Drivers and Utilities

3) DP/N 0T8255 For Reinstalling Dell Media Experience Basic Version

4) DP/N 0U7010 For Reinstalling Sonic MyDVD 5.3 LE and RecordNow 7.3 LE Software

5) DP/N 0G4874 For Reinstalling CyberLink PowerDVD Software

6) DP/N 00Y510 Microsoft Works

7) DP/N 0F7373 Dell Primus/AOL Internet Connection Kit

The last one is likely to be Australia specific.

No Events found!